Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another sign of spiraling down

My DW, as of three days ago has shown new signs of spiraling down in this awful disease of Alzheimer’s. She wants to go home. She told two granddaughters they were lying when they told her she was already home. She asked me to take her home. I took her for a ride in our neighborhood and came back to our home. I told her she was home. That didn’t work.

Yesterday was the first time she refused to take her medicine. I crushed it up and managed to give it to her in some yogurt.… and now she doesn’t recognize immediate family members or close friend’s names.  Cries several times throughout the day. We used to enjoy reading together and alternating chapters, paragraphs, or verses. She cannot even read a single line of a paragraph. She’s like a three year old when offering a blessing on a meal; repeats the same short line over and over. I have to give her hints on what to say.

On a positive note: I am timing her bathroom trips every two hours so as to avoid catastrophes on the floor; and yes, she is wearing Depends or an equivalent to them.

Those of you out there, how have you dealt with these bursts of crying. I have used playing soft music, watching movies, and reading.

My DW slightly missed the qualifying for Hospice care. The nurse that evaluated everything concluded by saying not to force feed my wife. “Let nature take its course. When she gets hungry she’ll let you know. Don’t want to risk choking or aspirating.”

Best to all of you dealing with similar circumstances and trying to stay healthy yourself and keep a sound mind.

Pipaw

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Pipaw.

I am so sorry this is happening. We are here for you. You are in my prayers.

-LT

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I'm so sorry pipaw. I wonder if you should talk to hospice again or ask for evaluation from a different agency. Okay to be the squeaky wheel on this....
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

It is my understanding that 'hospice care' is offered by many different agencies.

Perhaps you can check with another agency to see if you can get a 'second opinion'.

elained

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Elaine is right. Try another agency. You could also have her checked for a UTI. A UTI can cause all of those symptoms, although she might not have one. If a UTI is found, the payoff can be high when the infection is gone.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I should have mentioned that you should not crush meds without checking with the doctor or a pharmacist. Some meds should not be crushed. I wish you luck.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Pipaw wrote:

The nurse that evaluated everything concluded by saying not to force feed my wife. “Let nature take its course. When she gets hungry she’ll let you know. Don’t want to risk choking or aspirating.”

The whole nervous system and all body systems are deteriorating.  All the biochemical processes that control hunger and the verbalization of hunger are deteriorating.  IMO, one cannot rely on the patient's expression of hunger.  Her body still needs nourishment, until the very end.  I think she should be offered food until she refuses.  If she cannot eat soft foods, she needs pureed or thickened foods.  

If she is an aspiration risk, she should have a swallow survey.  The results will determine what type of food to offer.
    This nurse sounds unknowledgeable.  I agree, consult another hospice.  IMO, a PWD who cannot express hunger and is losing weight qualifies for hospice.  
    Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney