Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What happens to loved one if caregiver has emergency?

For all you folks who are caregiver 24/7 for your loved one, what steps have you taken if for some reason it is you who has the medical emergency?

If your LO cannot get you emergency help?

How is LO to be cared for if you are off to ER or hospitalization?

The reason I ask is that my 96 yr old mother is 24/7 caregiver for 95 yr old father.  I have suggested an emergency help pendent for her in case she needs help, but she feels she is healthy enough and doesn't need it.

I worry that if she goes down she won't get the help she needs or even if she does get help what will happen to my father if she is removed from the home for medical assistance.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    First tell her that wearing a safety pendant isn’t an option and she needs to wear one so that you can be notified if she is injured or collapses. Next put together a booklet for each of them with all their info right down to doctors and prescriptions. Have copies of all their insurance cards. Choose a memory care that you would be comfortable placing your father if respite care was needed if she was hospitalized. They will give you paperwork to fill out so he could be admitted if an emergency occurred. You could also check with a home care agency if you wanted to keep him at home. If you don’t have the funds to handle this ask your mother if she will put you on one of their accounts so you would have money available. Also make sure you are the POA on their health care paperwork.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Second what Gig said. I keep a care plan for my partner (and our farm and animals) on my computer and update it twice a year, with all relevant meds, phone numbers, etc. And I've sent copies to several friends and family members, including those who know they'd need to step in if something happened to me. I also have a card in my wallet and hers identifying me as her caregiver.  Haven't hired a case manager, but her backup healthcare poa and backup durable poa know to do that if necessary.  So far, she could still call for help. Will have to make other plans when that changes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more