Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grumpy old get off my lawn man

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

In the past couple of years and especially since Covid my DH has become what I call the grumpy old "get off my lawn" man.  When people are walking with or without dogs down our street I always get a, "They don't live in this neighborhood, they shouldn't be walking on this street."  Or, "There is a park down the street I'm going to tell them they need to be there and not on this street."  We have a small pond with goldfish on the corner of our lot which draws a lot of people who stop and look.  He has sometimes gone out to tell them to stand back or leave.  

What's making me the most nervous is my husband was the president of our neighborhood association for nearly ten years before I convinced him to let others run about five years ago.  Now he has it in his mind he is going to run again because the current president isn't doing enough to keep people "who don't belong here" from walking in our neighborhoods.  We are not in a gated community and anyone can walk on any street they want.  His other platforms are he is going to get a police officer to patrol our neighborhood 24 / 7, which he can't because of the crime rate in our city.  He is also going to have someone from animal welfare in the park 24 / 7 to issue tickets for dogs who are off leash which also won't happen.

I'm worried enough that he just might get elected because most everyone in the association knows him from his past work which he did a good job.  There is absoutly no way he could perform the duties of an association president.  I keep trying to dissuade him from running by saying he has done so much in the past and he needs to let some of the newer neighbors come on board but it seems he is bound and determined to run.  This is not one of those issues which he might forget about as he talks about this every day.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I think you are going to need to get him an appointment with a geriatric psychiatrist ASAP.  Eventually he is going to confront someone without you being aware, they will probably call the police and it's going to go legal/criminal depending on how far he takes the confrontation.

There have been other spouses and even people with dementia on this board over the years who were arrested/prosecuted for trying to "control" things outside their home.  The outcome usually is not really understood by the PWD and it is an additional burden on the spouse, especially financially.

Make an appointment with a psychiatrist this coming week.

If he does attempt to run for an office in the association again, you are going to have to let them know he is impaired.  That will nip that in the bud.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more