Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting things settled for end of life

Paul is very much aware of his losses. He has recently said he wants things settled, soon. He wants to get the remaining home improvements finished. We bought our cemetery plots near his parents. He wants anything he received from his parents to be passed down to his children - exceptions being anything I want to keep. He wants his closest friends and family to know, keeps asking, "Does he know?" I tell him yes, they know. He sometimes wants to know how much time he has left, sometimes he doesn't, but when I figured out he thought death was imminent, I told him it would probably not be this month or this year even. He let out a deep breath. He doesn't want it any more specific than that. That's what the answer will always be, probably not this year.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I think you handled that perfectly. It kind of sounds like he was asking you to give him hope. You certainly did that.
  • Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thanks Ed. Paul seems so much more aware at this stage than others mentioned on this board. Then sometimes he asks things that are far from reality. He got a new medication and his anxiety is lessened.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more