Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Support groupmconfidentiality

I was surprised when I checked out a local Alz/dementia group!  One of the members of the group told my friend that I was at the support group. I didn’t mind my friend knowing but I thought support groups are supposed to be confidential. They didn’t mention that at the meeting. I just always assume support group are confidential.  How would you handle this?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

If you have a means of contacting the group facilitator prior to the next meeting, otherwise do it at the next meeting. 

Specifically ask about confidentiality.   Then approach the person who told your friend and explain that you prefer that she not mention your situation to people not at the meeting.  In return, you will extend the same courtesy to her. 

It’s possible she meant no harm, and assumed your mutual friend knew that you were attending the meetings. 

• Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Thanks so much!

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I know that AA, AlAnon, and like groups stress confidentiality, and even then I think of it more with not repeating what is said there. I never thought of it with caregiving groups. And with a caregiving group, I’d be more likely to repeat good information than to discuss the participants.

I can understand why the person didn’t assume confidentiality of attendance, and spoke of your presence to a mutual friend. I might have done the same.

Just speak to the person and ask that they not mention your presence at the meetings. That should take care of it. 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Memphisdee, I think confidentiality is a reasonable expectation with regard to participation and discussion in a caregiver support group.  It’s meant to be a safe place where feelings and thoughts, as well as information, are shared.  Participants need to trust that the group will respect their privacy.

I would contact the meeting facilitator, as QBC suggests, to express your concern.  The facilitator can reiterate the ground rules for the group at the next meeting.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    The facilitator of the support group I attended began any meeting that included a new person with an explanation of the confidentiality expected of those attending.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I lead a caregivers support group. It is always stressed that it is a safe place to say what you want because it stays in the group - confidentiality is stressed. For the most part I assume that is being done. 

In this instance it seems to be a comment, with no ill intent intended. An off hand comment. At the next meeting you can ask about confidentiality. Maybe others might be wondering also. Just casually ask the question, no names given.

eagle

• Pathfinder52
    Pathfinder52 Member Posts: 37
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Support groups run by/endorsed by Alzheimer's Association have printed group "norms" and generally review those rule at the start of each meeting -- this would include confidentiality and things like not interrupting, talking over others, taking photos, etc.

Talk with the facilitator.

Without such a verbal review, new attendees likely don't think about their responsibilities to others -- it should be a standard practice.

--p

• Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I did that exactly and she said she will for sure always read the confidentiality guidelines.  I didn’t mention anynnames

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more