Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimer's- don't catch it!

Hi, I'm Tom and how are you!

Comments

• TommyT
    TommyT Member Posts: 24
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

Hello again!

I was just looking to see how this worked. Now I might have figured it out but I'm a little unsure about the publishing criteria.

I was a Peer Volunteer in the early 2000's. Had to take a long vacation.

Talk with you soon!

Tom

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

HELLO, TOM!  It's Iris.  I remember you!  It's nice to see you again!  How are you doing?  

Iris

• TommyT
    TommyT Member Posts: 24
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

Hi Iris!

I'm well but I have been moved into a Senior Living facility. I'm still relitively lucid. What has been going on with this message board?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Just about everyone you knew no longer posts.  Mimi S moved to an assisted living facility near her son that she had picked out for herself.  Michael Ellenboggen still posts.  The boards used to be active, with several posts by patients every day.  Now, this Younger Onset board has mostly caregivers posting.  I try to encourage the patients to post, because I know they can use the support of their peers.

My neurologist determined that I do not have Alzheimer's Disease.  I continue taking my memory medications of Exelon patch and Namenda.  I continue to have trouble with my memory, but I am still living alone in my own home.  I had been traveling overseas until Covid made its entrance.  But I am not up to long travel now, even after Covid is no longer a factor.  I am having more trouble keeping up.  

I would consider moving to a senior facility now but I have five cats who I won't give up.  I might get a housekeeper after Covid is no longer a factor.  I don't want to deal with a stranger right now.  

I attended a dementia support group for about three years until Covid put an end to it.  There is not much support for patients.  Actually, I feel a bit sorry for the newer patients.  I would not have been able to go on without the support of my peers in the early years.  This includes YOU, Tom!  You posted so much about your own story, also about the Serenity Prayer.  Thank you for being there for me and sharing, Tom!  

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney