Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Was looking for Memory Care but found Hospice

DH was admitted to Hospice yesterday. 

Thursday while I was out touring a great Memory Care and going to give them a deposit , my husband was home rearranging the furniture. He paced the yard and garage throughout the day and rummaged.  Very active. That night he went to bed as usual , but instead of waking up at his usual 6 am , he kept sleeping. The hours ticked by and finally I forced him awake to clean him. He stood up to escape and his balance was way off and he crashed into a dresser. Only a little walk to the living room and kept sleeping. Friday same thing but when I went to change him and sheets , he slid to the floor and was down there three hours till I could get lift help. More sleeping during day and night. Yesterday I didn’t try and rouse him but he wouldn’t lift his head, sit up or change position. So couldn’t feed him or give him water . 

So called Hospice. Just really needed the hospital bed. They came out and said that due to so much decline since their last visit  he was in. ( I had him evaluated in October ) They delivered the bed last night with table , and I’m so happy to see him comfortable! 

I’m in shock at the turn of events . But I’m posting because that’s how quickly things can change. And to show it never hurts to get a hospice evaluation . They had determined him 6c and not ready in October , but had kind of preregistered him. So the admittance yesterday was somewhat streamlined.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

It is amazing and startling how quickly things can change.

I am glad you have hospice on board and that the process was streamlined due to the pre-registration.

I have thought for a while that our spouses are on similar paths. Your post is very important and timely for me to remember this disease is very dynamic. It reminds me not to take this time with my DH for granted. 

Thank you for sharing BB. 

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Battle… how quickly things can change.  I’m glad you have hospice on board at this time.  I hope both your husband and you are resting comfortably.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Battlebuddy,  That was a quick turn of events.  This disease is so unpredictable.  This autumn I'm going to call Hospice for an evaluation for my husband.  I don't think he's ready yet but we'll see.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Battle, a similar thing happened with my DH. On the morning of June 18, I went to wake him and found he had had a sudden status change. He was formerly ambulatory with walker, fed himself, mostly continent, confused but conversational. he woke up non weight bearing and much more confused. He went off to the hospital where they couldn't find a thing wrong with him, then off to short term rehab. Little progress was made in the 6 weeks he was there, although at least now he can stand and pivotbult is very confused, can't feed or dress himself. He is now home on hospice. It was a shock, although this dementia journey has been a long one.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Wow BB, it is crazy how fast your husband declined.  So glad that hospice is there to help with supplies and equipment, etc. Keep us posted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more