Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sorry, Another Covid thread. Dreading this Fall.

This Spring I was finally able to visit my beloved spouse on her floor, and at times in her room-if the roommate was not in with her. Since I'm her only visitor I try to visit 4 days a week for 2 or 3 hours at a time.(80 minute drive each way).  My county and one other in my state are at high risk for Covid transmission. The  facility the LOML is in is a diffreent county and is only elevated risk, but the writing is on the wall; we are heading for another lockdown by sometime in September. I don't know how I'll be able to give her up again. Already it feels like she has died every day I don't see her. Even on the days I do visit the house is hauntingly empty when I get home.  Between Covid and Alzheimer's I don't know which disease I hate the most. Well, I do. Covid wouldn't keep us apart if it wasn't for Alzheimer's. Not expecting a bunch of        "how to fix it" answers. I was just wondering if many of the members here have the same spirit crushing anxiety.

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Markus this is hard.  It is also becoming wearisome as we don’t even have to be in this situation.

A totally different situation.  My friend is 89 and in congregate setting.  Her son lives out of state.  I have been going around once a week to see her.  We have a very high transmission rate in our community again. Our community has chosen to have only about a 36% vaccination rate.  She is vaccinated and so am I, but told her until this settles down I’m only going to call you.  Don’t want to accidentally carry anything into facility and don’t want to pick it up there either.  I have always worn my mask there.  She does not. Told her if she needs something to call me and I will leave it at front desk.

• Rennbird
    Rennbird Member Posts: 43
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

Markus, I can certainly understand your anxiety.  I think it is perfectly normal.  There are no answers and that is the big problem.  We are raised to believe, at least in this country, that there is an answer for everything.  Coming to grips with the hopelessness of Alzheimer’s and moving into a state of acceptance is a huge hurdle and then along comes COVID and WHAM, we are hit again.  My husband died three months before COVID struck.  I used the “Serenity Prayer” by Reinhold Niebuhr on my husband’s prayer card because for me, it served as a guide for coping with Alzheimer’s disease.  Even if you aren’t a believer, in my opinion, it speaks the truth. I will just quote one line, “Living one day at a time, Enjoying one moment at a time, accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.”   

Peace be with you.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    God grant me the serenity Memes

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia