Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Chat Rooms(1)

Why are the Chat Rooms so inactive? Every person you talk with that has dementia feels that they are alone. When we had Peer Volunteers all the rooms were active.

WWe need help! Where is the management?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's what I've been saying--the boards are not as active as before.  Even the chat rooms.  I've been encouraging members to make use of the chat rooms.  

Patients are not posting.  Perhaps they feel they are getting enough support in their own lives.  That wasn't my case, I needed a lot of peer support!  And I was fortunate enough to get it.

Iris

• TommyT
    TommyT Member Posts: 24
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

I'm always here for you Iris! As I recall from our Peer Volunteer days,you live in the Scranton, PA area.

Tom

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

It’s because this place sucks and AA refuses to make it better. And it saddens me to say may in management are my friends and refuse to do anything to make it better. They are so slow to inprove things and much of my recomendations.  

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

And trust me I get no pleasure to say this butt I only do it to make it better for all of us.

• Iris L.

Tom, I'm in Southern California.

Iris

• Virgil61
    Virgil61 Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Hi - am guessing here, but I think it may be because no one waits around in the room/s.  We log on, see no one there, and leave.  In the early days of aol/aim, you could surf and check emails and such while remaining "logged in" to the chat room (usually with a pop up window).  I don't think you can do that here. 
  • TommyT
    TommyT Member Posts: 24
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    You have a good point Virgil.
  • Iris L.

I have been suggesting that one interested member post a time and time zone to be in the chat room, then wait a few minutes for others to arrive.  We have four time zones to think about.  Before, the chat rooms were always  occupied for several hours every night.  

Iris

• Virgil61
    Virgil61 Member Posts: 47
    That's a good picture TommyT.
  • FTDCaregiver
    FTDCaregiver Member Posts: 40
    Late to this party but, when first visiting this site this week, I went straight to the chat room, "crickets", perhaps spicing up this website with notices to viewers on topic-centered issues or regional chats and inviting folks to stop in and view-n-chat?  For me, I'd like to connect more with early-onsetters, particularly near where I live. So, perhaps a notice like EST and CST viewers to connect with each other?  Do the same for other time zones, or regions? Would take some management to organize/monitor, and maybe have some online survey viewers could take on identifying topics for chats so their viewer intended topics??

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more