Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are there places that will care for a dementia patient for a short time?

I need a place for DW who is probably early stage 6 to go for about a week while I have back surgery to address pain and numbness in my legs. My thought is that when I return home we will employ a caregiver service to supplement our adult son's  (who works full time) help until I'm back to being able to care for her.

Do any such places exist?

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

A lot of ALFs  and MCs will let a person stay for a few days as you describe, with a few caveats. Many require a minimum stay that may be as long as two weeks; you can stay less time but they may charge you the entire minimum. 

Many also now have restrictions related to COVID; that’s in such flux now, a lot really depends on the place. Some may want a lot of advance notice. 

But at least you can call some facilities you think are good, and start asking now. It’s not a new concept, a lot of facilities do, but details depend on the place. And COVID has things all topsy-turvy.

If you think you may use or end up with a home care aide 24/7, for that week,  also start early with that. Home care agencies all over the country—and people here who want to use them—report staff shortages that may make such help harder to get.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    If you don't have any luck on your own, call the hospital where you will have surgery. Talk with a social worker, and explain that if you can't find a place for her, you will have to cancel surgery. They likely will help with that, and they should have information on where they might have availability.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I had no trouble arranging a respite for my DH when I had hip surgery a couple of years ago. All levels of facilities were offering it --- assisted living, memory care and nursing homes. The place I chose did have a 2 week minimum, but I'm not sure if they all did. Family and friends encouraged me to use the whole two weeks and I'm glad I did, gave me a chance to focus on my recovery. Call around, even with COVID I hear respite is still possible in my area. DH did fine and it was money well spent.
  • btl1953
    btl1953 Member Posts: 14
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. After I posted this question I e-mailed our Elder Law Attorney and she suggested several places near me to call.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more