Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Neurologist appointment, cancel or go?

abc123
abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
My LO has not walked more that twice in the past two weeks. She is sleeping more and more. Eating less. We have hospice on board and are interviewing agencies for full time care. We do not think she is near death. LO is clean and comfortable. I see no point in taking her to this appointment at this stage. We'd probably need an ambulance to transport her. I'd like to know what others here would do.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Hospice is on board.  She is clean and comfortable.  If it were I, I would cancel the neurologist appointment without hesitation.  Talk to the hospice nurse. She/he will most likely tell you the same.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I wouldn't take her to a doctor in her condition.  My mother's gerontologist told me not to bring her to him again or take her to a hospital again, and she was more mobile than your mother.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It's been three years since my wife has seen her neurologist. I see no reason for you to take her now.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    If Hospice is on board, I would not go.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Toward the end of life the patient will eat less and less, engage less, sleep more. There is no reason to force food as this is the body's way of letting go. Keeping her home- comfortable and safe is best, and that is what hospice is for. I see no reason to haul her to any doctor's appointment, either.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I would call and cancel it.  You can tell them her status and that she’s on hospice. They probably  wouldn’t make any changes at this point except maybe discontinue any medications meant to slow the dementia since she’s this far along. 

hugs, Abc.  I feel for you at this point in the journey 

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hello My Friend.

I would cancel the appointment unless there is a particular issue you need addressed. DH has not seen his neurologist since his diagnosis in February 2019.

My DH has regular appointments with the PCP and the geri-psychitrist since his hospital discharge. But the frequency will decrease as he has stabilized.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

The only experience I have with hospice is when my first husband was dying (cancer). The expectation, at that time (1992), was that once you signed up for hospice, you stopped seeing other doctors, and the nurse manager coordinated care with the hospice doctor. 

So based on my experience, I’d cancel. Consult the hospice nurse, but my guess is the answer will be cancel.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Looks like the nays have it abc and I agree….don’t think you’d accomplish anything. Hope things are going okay otherwise
  • abc123

Thank you for the responses, my dad appreciates it as do I. We will cancel. 

My first two experiences with hospice was 12 years ago when I lost a dear friend to cancer and 8 years ago when I lost my husband to cancer. Things have continued to greatly improve with hospice care. My mom even qualifies for 5 days of respite care in a facility every 90 days. 

A sincere Thank You to each of you who have replied. M1, things are going much better than two weeks ago! 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

It was wise to trust your instincts on this issue.   ((((abc123))))

J.

• abc123
    Thank you Jo!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia