Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Do dementias always end up visible on a scan, or not?

Or it's the connections that no longer work but everything stays in place? Can you help me understand which types of dementia are visible on scans and which ones aren't? It puzzles me.

Comments

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

It can all be different for many people. No one size fits all. It also matters how far you are into it. 

• looking4relief
    looking4relief Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I Would have an other question too.. is it complicated to make an appointment with a neurologist in the North East of US? Is it self referred or with a referral? A state where it's easier to have access to those services than an other? (And yes, I'm guessing it's expensive)
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

It depends on where you are in the state? It can take 2 -6 months some times. With covid it may take even longer. The key is not to talk about it but to do it ASAP if you have already had all of the other test with the primary. I don’t know your story so I can not tell you more. It also matters on who you know. I was able to get to one in just a few weeks because I know folks.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The diagnosis of dementia is made only after ruling out medical and other causes that mimic dementia.  No one test will indicate dementia.  

The doctor has to do multiple tests and consider the patient's history and neurocognitive examination and then come up with a diagnosis.  It will take some time.  

Scans such as an MRI are to look for signs of a stroke or a brain tumor.  

Usually you start with your regular doctor, who can order blood tests and do a mini mental status exam.  Then that doctor can refer you to a neurologist who specializes in diagnosing the dementias.  

Most tests are covered by medical insurance, but that depends upon the person.

Iris

• looking4relief
    looking4relief Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I am given wrong information sometimes, like if we don't see it on a scan, it will all be back to normal eventually and what is causing your problems will go away. I get pretty hopeful and then realise it's not how things happen in reality. Maybe it's true for a lot of people. They get weird symptoms, no one knows what it is, and then 6 months later they get back to their normal self..

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more