Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The sweetest of gestures

So,  I am the one holding down the fort for these 11 years now.My DH suffered a near fatal viral infection that entered his brain and caused encephalitis which has lead us down a very long and at times seemingly endless road of ups and downs and setbacks and uncertain diagnosis of just what is it he has been left with such as MCI/dementia,,and where that might end up taking us eventually.

I find myself running ragged and rushed through so many days-- trying to get everything done before the next problem or issue rears its ugly head to deal with. But a few weeks ago I was once again rushing to my car after grocery shopping and not paying attention---just thinking of my list of things to do when all of the sudden a car was backing up that I nearly ran into.

I stopped and he stopped and we looked at each other for a split second, and then I smiled at him and motioned for him to continue backing up- that I would wait. He did the sweetest gesture by smiling and then he placed his hand over his heart and had the most sincere and kindest expression on his face. I do not know why this struck me so hard, but it was the most extraordinary thing to witness. I got in my car and sat there a few minutes while I cried--not from sadness, but joy. I live in Texas and at times there are so many angry drivers, so you really don't know what to expect --not to mention just about everyone is armed  (except me). But that sweet man and his heart-placed gesture carried me through the entire day and brought me a feeling of peace and a restored faith in humanity. He will never know what he did for me, nor do I think I shall ever forget it. Carry on ,all. Sometimes you are acknowledged ;even if it's from a complete stranger.

Comments

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear DrinaJGB,

My hand is on my heart to you.  Thank you.  There is light in the darkness even when I cannot see it.  One gesture can reveal the light.  

ElaineD

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Absolutely, ElaineD. Thank you!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It's amazing how such a small gesture can mean so much. But the only ones to feel it are the ones carrying a very heavy cross. I'm glad he made your day.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for sharing this with us. Moments and people like you described are very special and help to keep me grounded. I hope you can continue to breathe in moments like this. Hang in there!
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone--we must all hang in there, and there are some moments which make us continue to go on. We may be hopelessly flawed in many ways, but we are all so very brave.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more