Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Carbonation and caffeine

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

The urologist DH goes to said to eliminate all carbonated drinks and caffeinated beverages and foods ( chocolate) from his diet as they stimulate urinary incontinence. Just thought we all could benefit from knowing this.

Comments

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you for sharing this important information.And these things also contribute to reflux disease.Carbonated drinks also leach calcium from the bones wrecking havoc on bone strength. Carbonated drinks also raise sodium levels. The best thing to do is throw them out. The addiction to carbonated drinks is attributed to many disease processes such as type 2 diabetes and hypertentsion that has reached epidemic proportions in this country.
  • Loralli23
    Loralli23 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Hello! My neighbor loves to spend time at home and always orders home delivery after reviews https://postmates.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html. He loves carbonated and different types of coffee. I have often seen the courier carry a lot of these drinks. After a while, he started having the same problem. His wife asked him to look after him when she was at work so that he wouldn't drink it. It was very difficult and I refused to help them because there was nothing I could do.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I like a bottle of Perrier once in awhile.  Not flavored, just plain sparkling fizzy water.  I do not like sodas or flavored carbonated drinks, but every so often, "bubbles" are nice.

I was concerned about health issues but  was delighted to find that this causes no affect on teeth or bones and in fact, has some positives - who knew?  Not me.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carbonated-water-good-or-bad

But my goodness, so much contributing to urinary incontinence.  Caffeine I knew, but thought there was not enough caffeine in chocolate, guess I was wrong.

When caring for my step-dad, (Alz's), he was a huge coffee drinker.  We had to begin to slowly change the full caffeine coffee mixing it with non-caffeinated little by little until he was on fill decaf coffee.   This kept him from having headaches from pulling the caffeine too fast - he did ineed drink a lot of coffee; nothing else would do.

J>

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife likes Cokes. She always has. I began mixing a little water with her coke, and she didn't notice. I am now just about 1/2 water, and she does not realize it. But she drinks enough that she does not get dehydrated. Guess that's kind of a win.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

To simplify things it is easier to remember that:

-caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant; it dehydrates and raises blood pressure

-any carbonated soda- whether flavored or plain sparking water- contains sodium which is detrimental to the vasculature of many organs and contributes to hypertension

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

When I looked this up for myself, I found the average amount of sodium in 8 ounes of tap water is about 5 mg. 

In a bottle of Perrier, plain, non-flavored fizzy water, there are zero mgs of sodium in 8 ounces.

I drink very little fizzy water, once a week or less; I had thought that tap water was less in sodium,. but onec again was incorrect. Sodium levels in tap water of course varies from place to place; some much more sodium than others.   If one has softened water, there are about 12.5 mg sodium in 8 ounces of that water according to the Googled information.

The worst places to find sodium are in the processed foods that so many of us use when there is no time or energy left to cook when caregiving.   The sodium levels in these foods are in whopping amounts.

It is interesting that too much sodium can cause the kidneys to overwork to rid the body of the sodium overload, so many more trips to the bathroom or incontinence incidents.

BUT, also interesting is that too little salt in the diet can cause the antidiuretic hormone to slide sideways and:  yep; more increased urine output.

It is very difficult - and also, medications can affect urinary output in different ways.  One would have to Google for information on that for each med.

J.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living