Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Meds(6)

DH is on Aricept and Namenda since 2018.  He started Seroquel last year around this time.  My question is, I really don’t think the Aricept and Namenda seem to be doing anything.   The Seroquel still seems to be helping, although he may need a different dosage.  My DH is in the moderate to late moderate stage   He was diagnosed with MCI in 2013 at 57 and unspecified dementia at 61 and finally ALZ at 65.  He is confused with time, place, also delusional and paranoid.  

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello Julie,  Your DH is a little behind my DW in progression.  She took Aricept for a year or so then quit due to leg cramps at night.  I noticed no improvement when she started and no loss when she stopped.   She started Namenda but it did no go well so she stopped.  

My DW became very delusional and militant/agitated just over 2 years ago.  We started a light dose of Seroquel, 12.5 mg once a day, that helped.  Within a month we were up to 25 mg in the early afternoon for sun downing.  That lasted about a year then up to 25mg in the early afternoon and 25 mg in the late afternoon.  That lasted about 7-8 months and now she takes 25 mg every 2-3 hours starting at noon.   She still has lots of delusions but they pass very quickly and she does not get agitated.    For her/us Seroquel was a "miracle drug", she remains very happy and cooperative well into stage 6.  For her the timing was important, as Seroquel has a short half life, so building up her dose slowly seems to work very well.    Rick

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more