Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Booster vaccinations

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

My sources in medicine are strongly supportive of booster shots on an eight month schedule , especially for Nursing home and MC patients.  This is especially true if you are in an heavily unvaccinated state or area. County level vaccination data is at https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

the key number is the 18+ vaccination percentage .  My county is 86%  but there are counties down at 30 %or possibly even lower.

Some states are deliberately delaying death counts for political reasons but we are close to an average of 700 deaths a day and rising rapidly.   While "breakthrough infections"  and deaths of vaccinated people are a small percentage of that total , on its own it would be considered a major epidemic.  It is simply small compared to the huge numbers among the unvaccinated. 

Comments

• Rennbird
    Rennbird Member Posts: 43
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    I appreciate your input.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Ludicrous and beyond the pale:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/icu-doc-shows-anxious-scared-081500127.html

Words do not suffice.

J.

• Jimbob59
    Jimbob59 Member Posts: 39
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Biden mandates all nursing homes that accept medicaid and medicare will have to require their employs be vaccinated.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Other than political lunacy, I do not understand the behavior of some governors. Just today the governor of Tennessee said that parents should be the ones to decide whether their children should quarantine after exposure to Covid-19. What??? I feel like they are living in a bizarro world where right is wrong and wrong is right. How many American children, and adults, will be hurt by these crazy edicts? My husband, his aide, and I will be getting our boosters as soon as we can do so.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I live in Texas and am constantly amazed at the clueless governor here and in other states like Florida. They seem to be suffering from oppositional defiant disorder. The school district my granddaughter attends does not require masks---she cannot get the vaccine yet because she is not 12.It is ludicrous. I feel these governors who have made such a political circus out of a public health crisis need to be held accountable for the chaos they have established. The best thing to do, however, is to vote them out.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Taking off my PV hat

I too am from TX and am beyond appalled at what is going on. The governor now has Covid,  he's receiving a different "cocktail" than others to help him not get too sick. Mask mandate or no mask mandate we personally will be wearing our masks, if we go out. I know too many whom have lost their lives to Covid to not be diligent in trying to prevent it. 

We have 4 friends whom have gotten vaccine #3. Its offered at local stores. From those 4 friends - 2 had no reaction (nor had any reaction to the previous injections) and 2 are having awful reactions. They had reactions from the 2nd injection also. I find that interesting, certainly not scientific, but interesting.

As for my immunocompromised, COPD, asthmatic DH with dementia I'm taking every precaution that I can. For us that is what is best. 

As caregivers sometimes it feels like the weight of the world on our shoulders if we have to make one more decision - but the decision to wear a mask isn't a difficult one to make, IMO.

Putting my PV hat back on.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I wear my mask everywhere, too. In this very conservative county I get glares and stares---I glare back . They have made this public health crisis a political whining match. It is sickening to witness, and they only accomplish confirming their own stupidity.

When the polio vaccine first became available my parents took me down the street to their friends house. He was a doctor, and he gave me and my brother the vaccine. My parents were so thrilled because every summer that rolled around before the vaccine became available was a nail-biting nightmare.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Elected officials buy polls to learn what we want to hear.  Their "opinions" are just regurgitation of the results, and cannot be relied upon.  That includes the pols with medical degrees.

My doctor has saved my life three times since 1995, and it is her opinion I respect.  My doctor supports masks and vaccines, so that's what I do.  All I look for on TV, on this subject, is where to go to get the shot.

Nothing new about boosters.  If you step on a nail, first thing the doc wants to know is "When was your last tetanus booster?"

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I really think these elected officials who are bucking science, are in for a rude awakening come election time. Not everyone in their "base" is buying all the ridiculous thinking they are pushing.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I understand that the covid situation is always evolving and "mandates/recommendations" can change, but where is the common sense in all these folks who are making decisions?

Yes, lockdown was hard, particularly for our LO's with dementia, and I don't want to see us to that point again.  We either pay now with masks, social distancing and good practices or we will pay later.

I get that some folks will never be "pro vaccine" but they should at least be willing to take the other precautions which cost so little and could save lives.

I am tired of the "its my life, my body, my choice" excuse.  It is not just them that suffer from their choices, others they come in contact with do as well.

I am not "pro government" with a few exceptions.  One of those being the health and welfare of all.  If government can't/won't mandate the vaccine at least mandate the non-intrusive best practices.

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Our local news just did a story that noted:

Covid exasperates Alzheimer’s in those who have it.

“Brain fog” symptoms persist for many patients, especially older ones.  Didn’t claim causation, but implied that many elderly who have had covid have highlighted concerns for long term dementia.  

I read on Twitter today, regarding antivaxers:  “If you don’t trust doctors and science to keep you from getting sick, why the hell are you clogging up hospitals trusting them to cure you?”

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more