Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Neuro Today Update--Possibly FTD

Today was our 6 month neuro appointment.  I took all of your advice and wrote the doc a note and delivered it yesterday which he read right before the appointment.  In it I described DH's shed/yard tool sexcapades, his sleep issues, his anger/agitation & agression, his impulsiveness (he gave away his car at church last Sunday because I wouldn't let him drive), his communication problems (the audiologist says he can hear but only understands 28% of what is being said).
   The exam was very short--how do you feel, how are you sleeping.  DH answered fine to both.  Then he said sometimes he wakes up angry and can't get back to sleep.  Doc told DH that he should not drive and then changed his meds from Aricept to Exelon and Seroquel and referred him to a special "memory clinic" in Charleston, SC which is about 2 hours away.  He said it can be tricky to have BiPolar and dementia and they can "sort it out." 
   Out in the hall I heard him tell the nurse that he thought we were dealing with  bvFTD which didn't surprise me since you all gave me a heads up.  He told her to send a referral to the FTD clinic at the Medical University of South Carolina.
   DH isn't happy about the med change or the referral since he says the doctor didn't really examine him or say anything.  I do wish the doc had put on a bit more of a show LOL!  But I am glad that he didn't mention the letter! 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    fingers crossed that the med change helps, you should know fairly quickly

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia