Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

For those talking of advocacy

aod326
aod326 Member Posts: 235
Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Hi. I saw on an earlier thread where several people were talking about the need to advocate publicly for AD, to lobby on Capitol Hill and to raise general awareness.

Some of you may not be aware that the Alzheimer's Association actually has a separate, non-partisan, advocacy/lobbying arm, called AIM - Alzheimer's Impact Movement. I have become involved with them since DH's death in April. For me, while fund-raising to find a cure is important, developing better ways of managing the tremendous emotional, physical and financial burden on caregivers is critical. After all, while we look to find a cure, hundreds of thousands of people already have, or will be diagnosed, with dementia. 

Take a look at alzimpact.org. Lots of information about what's happening.  

Bill's post (anonymized) is exactly the sort of heartfelt, moving writing that should be published.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thanks for the info, and thank you for your efforts. The public needs to know much more about the long, hard road we are all on, and how it impacts families.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more