Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Found what where!?

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

We’ve had similar threads before, but I was reminded this week by a few discoveries:

I found a bar of soap inside the flour sifter in a kitchen cupboard.

I found a very expensive gold bangle bracelet inside a stone retaining wall in the front yard. 

I found half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the bed, on my side!

What interesting things have you found where?  

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    All I can think of right  now is dishes and silverware all put up before the dishwasher and been run. That is probably pretty normal. I will probably think of more later.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I find very neatly folded paper towels, toilet paper, or kleenex tissues virtually everyplace!  Rick
  • John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Just now DW asked, “Where are my glasses?”

“Umm, you’re wearing then!”

“Oh!”

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Just lot of dishwashing liquid in my water bottle last week. 

The sponges often disappear but I haven’t found them till now, I suspect they finish their life in the toilets. 

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Stickiness, everywhere.

Mountains of sugar on the kitchen counter.

Dirty dishes with clean dishes.

Chocolate (or another brown substance) on the door knobs. 

Poop Poop Poop. Poop on the floor. Poop in the sink. Poop prints across the floor. I am always cleaning up poop. 

Something I am happy to find: Clorox Cleaning Wipes on the grocery store shelf!

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

In the early days of his AD (2016), my husband would place his wallet and eyeglasses in his sneakers and place the sneakers under the couch.  We'd search for his "lost" items day after day.

In the mid-stage of his AD, he'd throw apple cores into the toilet, place his sneakers on the coffee table and throw toilet paper onto the floor.

Now in his late-stage he's slowly losing his grip, he drops food onto the floor.

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

A couple of my favorites: half-eaten burrito in his sock drawer (on several occasions) and a very neatly folded T-shirt, in the fridge. When you think about it, the fridge isn't a million miles away from looking like a closet, so he was close!

Finding the vacuum cleaner on the lawn, after DH had been raging about how he couldn't mow the grass was one of those funny/sad moments. I was glad he wasn't there when I found it, because I burst out laughing.

Many of the things I've been able to figure out why he might have put things where (like the T-shirt in the fridge). I've never been able to work out why he put a pair of reading glasses in a box of pre-made salad, and put it back in the fridge!

For me, these were often funny moments that lightened the mind-numbing frustrations of caregiving. (I didn't laugh in front of him.) I remember the funny ones more than the infuriating ones. I took photos of several of the things - not sure why, but now that he's not here I like to look at them sometimes to remind me of him doing them.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Wedding & engagement rings missing for 6 weeks at the bottom of reusable grocery shopping bag.

For those of the Catholic persuasion, DW was very religious & active in the church: I found a Communion Host in her coat pocket, a big no no.

My shaving razor in a coat pocket.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's not what I found, but what I didn't find. She has been looking for something for about a month or so. But she can't tell me what it is she's looking for. She'll say "I can't find my three to eleven. Help me find it." I don't know where to look, or what I'm supposed to look for.

The one thing that I never found was a very wet incontinence pull up. I have no idea what happened to it, but if it went down the toilet, it went through with no problem.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dirty clothes in the new dryer, with DW trying to figure out where to add the soap.

She did fine with the old dryer until it died of old age, and we still have the same washer, but the new dryer created a disturbance in the Force in our laundry room.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    After searching and searching, I finally found DHs wallet wrapped neatly in a Kleenex and stuffed inside the box of Kleenex.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    @Ed - Three to Eleven is a hospital shift. If I recall correctly, your wife is an RN. Could she be looking for something related to a work shift? or to her former work? or medical/medicine related?
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    our best recently was trying to use the vacuum hose and nozzle (for a built-in vacuum system) to attach to a pressure washer, instead of the water hose and nozzle.  Even she laughed when she figured it out.  And today I found a mini-vac/DustBuster in the laundry hamper.  She LOOOVES to vacuum.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Aw, White Crane, that's one of those funny/sad head-scratchers! What care he must have taken to do that - whatever must have been in his mind? The mysteries of the dementia brain.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    LadyTexan wrote:
    @Ed - Three to Eleven is a hospital shift. If I recall correctly, your wife is an RN. Could she be looking for something related to a work shift? or to her former work? or medical/medicine related?

Lady, you are correct. But she uses "three to eleven" for any word she can't find. It could be a TV program, a pencil, ice cream, you name it. She knows what she means, and she can't understand why I don't know what she's talking about. Frustrating for both of us, to say the least.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    DH asked me to buy a different kind of liquid hand soap, what we had was really gritty. I checked and indeed, it was very gritty and thick as well. Well, it took a few hours and it hit me that he had refilled the soap dispenser with shower gel. Coconut scrub shower gel! Now he won’t use it even as a shower gel! Makes sense since they are both made by Softsoap but it just struck me as funny.
  • RanchersWife
    RanchersWife Member Posts: 172
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    It used to be the things that couldn’t be found that caused the most trouble. The missing picture that caused so much trouble finally showed up without the frame. I will never know that story.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    My dad wasn't so much of a hider, but in the incident which led to his diagnosis during a psychotic episode led to him removing a of the oil portraits and glass framed prints off a 2 story high wall in the living room. We needed to use a 16' ladder to hang it all initially so I have no idea how he got them down except that there was glass everywhere. If I balanced on the back of the sofa and swung at them with a broomstick I might not be able get them all down.

My dear friend's mother removed her hearing aids while being supervised at bedtime and dropped them into the denture bath before she could stop her.

My aunt was the really interesting one. She was one of those people who was attached to her stuff. Not a hoarder exactly, but a frugally thoughtful child of the Depression who had lots of place to store things and whose VD progressed fairly slowly giving her time to leave all manner of interesting stuff behind. Going through her house was fascinating. 

I found 10 x $100 bills in a laundry basket filled with dirty socks. Just dirty socks. Some bills were tucked into individual socks.

When my cousin removed a book from the shelf a tiny handgun dropped onto her foot. It had been in the hollowed out pages of a book titled "Best Practices in Secondary Education". We found at least one gun in each room- in hat boxes, LLBean duck boots, a canister meant for flour.

I found hundreds of neatly folded paper napkins in the VW Passat I bought from her- in the console, the glovebox, and in the seat pockets. About a year later, I had a flat and when AAA came to change the tire for me, we found even more napkins tucked neatly around the spare.

We found a filing cabinet filled with checks mailed to her from an investment account. She made photocopies of the checks and then stapled the originals to the copy along with the envelopes in which they were mailed. 

Maybe the saddest thing were her crosswords. Her late husband used to reassure her that she was fine and pointed to her doing the crossword daily. Under her bed I found at least a dozen sacks from the grocery store filled with cut out crosswords. Some completed, some barely started. The entire guest room closet was crammed with more of these sacks of cut-out puzzles. In the top bags, presumably the last bags filled, she didn't even bother to cut out the clues. 

HB
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Seven hundred dollars in an old envelope under a cardboard liner at the bottom of her built-in clothes hamper . . . . where did she get $700?   (FTD)

Step-dad; (Alz) $20 bills and a few $100 bills stuck in the pockets of old, old sports jackets he hadn't worn for years but wanted to keep; stuck way back in the closet.  He must have had that for years.

A few $20 bills placed between pages of various books in their book shelves in their TV room.  Which one put the bills there - Mom or step-dad?  Who knows - BUT when both passed away, had to inspect every single item and riffle every single book and inspect all clothes,, shoes, boxes, etc. in the house with a searching eye lest other $ be stashed.

Mother:  Had everyday flatwear in her kitchen silverware drawer.  She also had her "good"  flatware that was found to have disappeared.  She was pretty much delusion driven.

She began to carry on with gusto all hours of the day and night - she demanded and was fixated on having NEW good flatware - a whole set - demand; demand; demand because her "good" flatware was gone - somebody had stolen it.

So; I began to search and search and search her little place.  Inside things, under things, above things, drawers, cabinets, cupboards, storage area; weird everywhere places including underneath furniture.  No flatware to be found. It was indeed gone, restorted to using fiblets for not buying new.  Figured she probably had given or thrown it away. Who knew; she was pretty crafty with items.

One day, I was cleaning out a very long, long, long drawer in her kitchen.  All items in the normal front and back of the drawer dusted and put back . . . . BUT WAIT . . . something crammed way in the way, way back. Rags.  Bundles of rags.  OMIGOSH!   Her "good" flatware; wrapped in rags wound about with rubber bands!  I had heaven only knows how, missed that when searching, but poor Mom, what was the reason in her mind I wonder - perhaps to keep thieves at bay?  Will never know.  She then moved on to another delusion even more startling . . . . and so it went . . . .

J.

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    A set of keys in a sock stuffed under a cushion in the couch.  Another set of keys behind a picture on the mantle.  Just yesterday when I came home from work our dinner that I put in the crockpot that morning was in the refrigerator raw.
  • M1
    Oh kevcoy I can only imagine how ticked you must have been. Made me laugh though.
  • kathlil
    kathlil Member Posts: 2
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    Hearing aids! He put them in a pocket in a pair of pants he never wears. I looked and looked for them and finally figured that he must have thrown them away. Made appointment for new hearing aids and ordered them ($900.00!). He put said pair of pants in laundry, they got washed and so found hearing aids in washer. ( he won’t wear them most of the time anyway).
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

A little white bakery box containing two cannolis (finally) found, a week after purchase, in a dresser drawer. The second box of two cannolis has yet to be found. Pastries are secreted away within minutes of arriving in the kitchen.

This morning I found Sugar in the Raw in the K-cup slot in the coffee machine.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Rocks, everywhere. Seriously. We must have 100s of rocks the size of a loaf of bread around a dozen trees in the yard. And at the beginning of the summer I filled a 5 gallon bucket with rocks THREE times taking the rocks OUT of the house. He now just brings in smaller rocks, but I find them in just about any spot you can imagine.

We live next to and across from farm fields. He walks those fields picking up the rocks. The farmer loves him.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    God  love you for finding ways to smile!!  It's so important, you inspire me to realize that we can have joy in our days.  You are a special person no doubt.  I'm so very sorry for your loss and hope you are still finding good moments in your daily life.  That's a talent.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My DH constantly confuses the hamper for the garbage can. They look nothing alike. They’re even in different, but adjoining, rooms. I have found disposable incontinence pull-ups in the hamper and regular underwear in the garbage. Since DH has been falling more often, I follow him constantly. That allows me to supervise his disposal errors. Before I knew what he had been doing, I wound up with what he calls his “peenie pads” in the washer. What a mess! I’ve found half-eaten sandwiches in the bread drawer, cookies in the dish towel & pot holder drawer, and my underwear in his underwear drawer. He has worn my tees and even my jeans. He has lost so much weight that my clothes fit him better than his own.
  • M1
    Love this thread! It so helps to know others have this too. Who else could you possibly tell about these things?!?
  • SATX
    SATX Member Posts: 14
    First Comment First Anniversary

This is my favorite "go to" topic... for comedic relief!  The current favorite activity here is washing, drying and folding clean clothes.

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I found 2 bottles of hand sanitizer in the microwave while pulling out my soup.
  • ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I found 2 bottles of hand sanitizer in the microwave when I went to pull out a bowl of soup

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more