Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nothing Could Prepare Me for Watching My Wife Slip Away

ElaineD
ElaineD Member Posts: 206
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/opinion/tom-coughlin-wife-psp.html

By Tom Coughlin

Mr. Coughlin, a two-time Super Bowl-winning head coach, led the New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars and Boston College Eagles.

From the article:

I’ve learned firsthand caregiving is all-consuming. It is mentally and physically exhausting.

And to all those who are caring for a loved one, take a break when you need it and don’t be too hard on yourselves. It’s not easy. And for all those wondering how they can help, it’s simple: Don’t forget about the caregivers.

ElaineD

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Elaine, Good article, thanks for sharing. I was alway a bing fan on Tom Coughlin since his time at BC.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you for posting! I thought that was a great article and may reach many people who otherwise would not hear a caregiver's perspective.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

How horribly sad . . . Progressive Supranuclean Palsy is a truly dread disease; one I think that may even give Alzheimer's a run for its money in how it evolves and affects.

Our SIL died of PSP not long ago and it was nightmare after nightmare.

This writing could not have been easy for a man who was used to being in absolute strength and in control within his professional life and part of who he had been as a person both professionally and personally. He has opened up and let his vulnerability be seen and in the process has probably helped others he will never know.

J.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I read the article yesterday. It was heartfelt and I could feel the anguish that was so overwhelming. I sent it to my daughters since I sometimes find it difficult to communicate what life is like not just day-to-day but even on an hour-by-hour basis.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more