Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New symptom....did not identify self in picture

My folks have a digital frame and the family has put lots of pictures on it.  My dad, who has dementia, really enjoys the pics.

Today he asked me if I knew who that was in the picture.  It was of him and my mother at their 75th wedding anniversary party. 

I told him that was him and my mother.  He said no that was his brother and he was crazy.  My dad did have a brother who died many years ago and did not really resemble him.

I did not correct him.  But it made me so sad.  I had already accepted that he didn't know me as "daughter", but to not know himself was not something I ever anticipated.

This disease keeps on taking and taking.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am sorry loveskitties.

Yes, this disease keeps taking and taking. I feel like I will soon break.

• Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    My husband and I arranged a lot of photos of family members in our main hallway at home. There is one with his dad, his two sons, and him, posed for a church membership roster. He was looking at himself (about 25 years ago in the photo) and asked if it was Matthew, his older son. In any photo of that age, that's who he guesses. I think the approximate age is right, but Matthew and his dad don't look that much alike. It's just another step. He does still know me, so that's comforting for now.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear LK,

This hurts,,I had a beautiful pic of my DH holding his favorite nephew on his dresser 

and each day he would tell his caregiver "that's a picture of me when I was a baby".

Sorry,

Michele

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living