Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lion's Mane Mushrooms

SATX
SATX Member Posts: 14
First Comment First Anniversary
Just learned about these.  The documentary referred to clinical trials.  Does anyone have experience using these mushrooms (or extract) for EO ALZ?  Is there a place to look up clinical trial results?  Or is this just another snake oil promoted to separate us from money we don't have?

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

In my opinion snake oil

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

My DH has taken organic Lion's Mane for several years. He has not had any adverse side effects.His neurologist knows and has not said anything negative about this. DH still reads, writes,  and draws complex plans for eleven years now since his brain injury. Has not progressed to AD. There are many remedies such as these wherein trials have been conducted with positive results.

You can Google trials  for results done on many herbals like Bacopa Monnieri written by NIH on its cognitive-enhanicng effects as well. Another good one is good old Melatonin---which is produced by the pineal gland but wanes as we age. Many beneficial effects including better sleep patterns, enhanced cognitive functioning and memory , as well as reduction in acid reflux disease by strengthening the lower esophogeal sphincture without PPI's (look up the side effects for PPI's and be shocked!).

I don't know about snake oil, but there are many other remedies out there that have been used for thousands of years.If you are willing to keep an open mind and not blindly follow only the FDA---which at one point put my DH in ICU again for 9 days due to life-threatening side effects of an "approved" drug--you may be surprised at how many trials are now being conducted. Digitalis for the heart came from the foxglove plant.

Personally, I make many of my own herbal tinctures as my grandmother taught me. Her grandmother was Chickasaw and her great grandmother was Cherokee. Nature provides a plethora of remedies for healing. It's astounding.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Visit the Clinical Trials board, someone there may have info for you. 

Iris

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Folks there is science and there is snake oil . 

The major scientific study supporting claims had a total of 41 people divided into two groups

a fact which does not appear in the abstract of the study . Given the known variabililty of endpoints in Alzheimer's that is nothing.

41 subjects completed the study,

2020; 12: 155.

Published online 2020 Jun 3. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2020.00155
    Prevention of Early Alzheimer’s Disease by Erinacine A-Enriched Hericium erinaceus Mycelia Pilot Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more