Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Uh oh

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Spoke too soon?

In a comment on another post, I noted that DW has been at stage 6d for an extended period of time.

Today was not a good day.  Began with bowel incontinence.  Big clean up in aisle seven needed.

Later, DW couldn’t/didn’t distinguish between a kitchen chair and the toilet when she needed to go….opted for the former before she could be stopped.

Later still, I came back from a meeting and it was clear to me she had no idea who I was.  I asked her my name, and she gave me her classic response when she doesn’t know:  “Charles.”

Not going to make too much out of one bad day….but on heightened alert in case we’re on the next downward leg of this journey.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jeff, I'm sorry. I just hope it wasn't in aisle 7. When you said she was mistaken other things for the toilet, I can relate to that too. My wife went into the bedroom, and pulled out the bottom drawer in a chest of drawers. That was going to be her toilet, but when she sat on it, it broke in pieces. I was thankful for that because I could fix the drawer, but if the chest of drawers fell on her........... But thankfully she still knows who I am. It's just a terrible disease.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I am so sorry. It's just heartbreaking.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff, I’m sorry you are having such a difficult day. It was seams that our DWs are on a parallel trajectory.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Jeff - I am sorry for the difficulties you faced today. 

It was a bad day for BMs at our house too. Two major clean-ups, one in each bathroom, all before my first cup of coffee

As you know, verbalizing gratitude helps me deal with the challenges this disease flings my way.

• I am grateful to have 2 bathrooms.
    • I am grateful I had all the cleaning supplies I needed.
    • I am grateful to talk to people who understand what its like to clean up adult poop on a regular basis.
    • I am grateful my family is safe.
    • I am grateful my DH is peacefully sleeping and my faithful dog Hap is by my side.

Jeff - I hope you and your loved one have a better day tomorrow.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Hang in there Jeff, you're not alone.  

What is it with kitchen chairs? My DW decided to pee on one about a week ago.  One of my son's was home for a couple days and he heard what was going on before he saw his Mom peeing on the chair.  I was outside making a phone call for a few minutes.  Ugh,. Something a son shouldn't have to see.  DW also has peed on the floor, on the closed toilet lid, on the nightstand next to the bed, etc.  She's also had occasional incontinence of both kinds.  

This particular leg of the "journey" isn't fun, but this whole journey is a nightmare anyway.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    60 falcon wrote:

What is it with kitchen chairs? My DW decided to pee on one about a week ago. 

I probably caught my wife doing that, maybe 8 - 10 times. So far, in time to redirect her each time. When I tell her she can't pee on a chair, she asks "Why not?".

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Stock up on disposable briefs, waterproof pads, disposable gloves, clean up wipes with bleach and whatever else that will make your cleaning up easier.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I don’t remember who first mentioned using shaving creme but it is a life saver for us! It makes clean up easier and helps with the smell. Good luck everyone! 

LT, I am grateful for vinyl gloves!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney