Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cell Phone Use

Hello All - 

I haven't been on here much lately.  My husband was diagnosed with early onset Alz in 2016, and the progression of his disease has been slow.  He remains relatively functional in many ways, though his memory is very impaired.  Recently we've started having a rash of unexplained charges on our credit card and purchases that he claims he didn't make.  I've gotten a new card issued, so fraud, though possible, isn't as likely. Also, he is on his phone constantly, but complains that it is "broken" or "screwed up."  My son (the techie one in our family) has the same phone (older than my husband's) and say's his dad's phone is fine, it's just "operator error."  Also, there are many redundant apps that my husband has downloaded, and he has downloaded viruses by mistake.  My question, given that I think it's positive that my husband is still interested in the news, interacting with fb friends, etc., does anyone know of a way that I (and by "I", I mean my son} can add "parental controls" to keep viruses, questionable websites and apps, and shopping opportunities off the phone while still allowing him to use it?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Suzy. Although I'm not the one who would be best to ask about that, I think it would be good if you told our gang what kind of phone he has. It might help with replies.
  • slippednfell
    slippednfell Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi Suzy,

If you have Verizon Wireless, there is a "family" thing that you can add to your plan and you can designate when calls and texts can be made, purchase and data limits can be set and I think limit what sites are visited.  This might not be an option if his is the primary on the account.

Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney