Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Activities on an Alzheimer's care unit in a nursing home?

Once again I am afraid my unrealistic expectations are getting the better of me. My beloved has been in a facility for almost 1 1/2 years. Still very verbal, but not often sensible. She recognizes family much of the time. She self feeds, but what she considers a "finger food" may not be everyones definition. The problem, she is bored silly and it is resulting in terrible depression. She has depression enough, both pre-Alzheimer's condition and from the isolation she feels since for the most part I'm her only visitor. On other units in the center they have bingo, arts and crafts, movie night, pet visitors from local agencies, lots of puzzels and games... The Alzheimer's unit they turn on all the TVs in the patient rooms that are occupied to VERY high volume, and in the common area well, loud enough to be heard. Has anyone experienced a care center that actually provides activities geared to each patient's capability? I have a cognatively impaired granddaughter who went completely through school having the lessons being given to the other kids modified to suit  her abilities. Even on the Alzheimer's unit the level of functioning varies from an almost vegitative state to strolling up and down the halls visiting with everyone there. Surely there is some types of group or individual activities they can provide for the residents isn't there?

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Oh dear

I ran cookie cooking classes and showed DW's animal moves pre covid.  They had activities every single day  DW can no longer enjoy them but they go on

There  a family volunteer who is a juggler and a bit of a magician. 

Very few resident have personal televisions.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Both my MIL and SIL were in the same memory care unit (several years apart). There was a morning activity each day (bowling with giant pins and ball, or singing, or drumming, or crafts, or exercise class, etc), lunch, bingo (M-F), then a video musical (Sound of Music, Meet Me St Louis, type.— They’d play the same one for a few weeks then switch to another). 

On the weekends, when there were more visitors, the schedule was lighter, but on one of the days there would be an outside performer. Most often someone who sang the old songs. Residents who barely talked would sing along. A favorite was the balloon guy who sculpted balloon animals. He showed up once a month and they did birthday cake and ice cream. The weekend programs were nice as both residents and visitors attended. 

The facility discouraged TVs in the rooms. Most residents could not operate the remote. There were no TVs in the common areas. The news would be upsetting to many. There were large monitors that they used for the music videos. 

Funny side note — MIL had been a resident, so we knew the routine when SIL was admitted. On our way to visit SIL, for the first time there, DH and I speculated about which video would be playing when we arrived. I won.

Not so funny— now I wonder what will be playing if DH has to be admitted there.

• IWBH1990
    IWBH1990 Member Posts: 20
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

My DW entered the Memory Care world about three months ago at a solid 6 stage. Her Memory Care also discourages TV's in the room. When walking the halls with my DW I guess I see about 10% to 20% of the 30 residents have a TV in there room. There is one moderate sized TV in the common area, mostly showing shows from the 60's. Daily they do have activities like painting with water colors, bowling with plastic balls and pins, word games using a white board, etc. My wife is at the stage where she really has no interest/ability to take part in most of the activities. Two or three times a month they bring in an outside musical event which my wife enjoys, particularly if they play 60's or Christian music.  

Dave

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Markus-

I have found this varies a great deal. The MCF where dad went had a social director who had something going on from 8am until 8pm with a break for lunch and siesta. Residents were encouraged to not have a personal TV but to join others in one of the 4 neighborhood lounges or the main activity room. If a family member wanted to volunteer to lead an activity like a piano sing-a-long she made it work. Would you be open to providing some entertainment? 

At a few places I toured, there were more activities in the MC side of the Alzheimer's unit than the SN side. This tended to be the case where people started in MC and moved into SN as they needed a higher level of care or a Medicaid bed. My aunt's facility was like that, but they were very flexible about day activities. Auntie maintained her lovely and gentle personality as her disease progressed and was included in the AL activities even though she was a resident in MC- she went of field trips for lunch out weekly and did crafts and lunch with them. When she needed SN, she still joined the MC activities to do simpler games, crafts and such as well as lunch. This facility had a day care program that was hosted in MC, so they were quite flexible about adding people. If there's something in another unit that your wife might enjoy, would they be willing to let her attend it? Would they be more likely if you attended with her? 

HB
  • Katy sue
    Katy sue Member Posts: 6
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

The scenario you describe exactly fits the nursing home where my DH was a resident for 1 1/2 yrs.  I  , too, felt this approach was all wrong for what these people needed. The tv constantly blaring, sometimes violent movies, what?.. residents were mostly disengaged or frustrated, or wondering the hall aimlessly. There was very little interaction from staff. Big difference between memory care and nursing home. They simply supervised, fed, and changed diapers and addressed medical needs.  The reality was that they did not have time for much interaction. They did, however, have birthday celebrations, decorate a little, etc. The residents , mostly at stage 7, had no capacity for social interaction or activity engagement. Staff couldn’t and most likely didn’t know how to address these important needs . Their immediate needs were addressed, but interaction with patients and dealing with boredom were not high on the priority list. Simply put, they were there waiting to die. It was beyond sad. I had to come to a level of acceptance and let go of the guilt that consumed me. I didn’t even have the opportunity to visit each day as you do, which only accelerated the guilt. There was no money available for a private caretaker. His situation and where he was placed was ,in many ways , out of my control because I had to deal with a healthcare system that barely accommodates the needs of a dementia patient (early onset) who has become financially devastated. 

I was stuck. He was stuck. Thank God for his death 1 1/2 yrs after placement. He didn’t deserve this. I didn’t deserve this. But it was the hand we were dealt, and I did the best I could with the cards I was given.  I have since recovered somewhat from the shell shock, and I choose to remember the fun years of love and laughter because they give me joy. Both the fun years and the difficult ones gave us both purpose in the time we had together.  I wish Strength for you.

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks for all the posts. My beloved's nursing home is on lock-down again for a Covid case. I was pretty much her only "activity". I bet she is bored silly by now.  My wife and I were dedicated customers of a very cheap cruise line. Their activities lacked  sophistication but were exceptional in fun and frequency. Water balloon toss, crab races, ugly knee contest (I won that one) were simple activities that gave everyone a chance to participate. Surely some activities like that could be adapted for the residents of the NH. Anybody on staff play guitar? Would the local school system or churches have a choir that could have a outside performance? Buy a helium balloon pack at the party store and tie ribbons long enough to be in a wheelchair persons reach...... I am mule puke at setting up silly party game type of activities, but someone at the facility is likely to be great at it. The NH just needs to want to do it.
  • Katy sue
    Katy sue Member Posts: 6
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

You are definitely on the right track of thinking, Markus. The initiative may need to come from outside sources though. A group of us took a few well behaved older horses to the outside grounds of a facility and walked all around near their doors and patios. All the residents came out to look for the afternoon and were in awe. This was during lockdown. So they were so very happy to see some familiar animals. We even rode the horses bareback and paraded around. So many smiles and much laughter and talking. The caretakers told us later that it was the best thing that happened in months. All it took was a phone call to the facility and their approval. Many social groups such as singers or dancers, jugglers may welcome the opportunity to perform in this setting. One of my clients was a member of a barbershop quartet and often performed at facilities. It is a very good stimulus for patients because it creates positive endorphins. They just need someone to coordinate. 

Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney