Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

abc and others fighting Ida

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I know the worst is over from wind damage, but flooding is still ongoing. Just wondering how you are faring since the weather started becoming bad. How are your folks and other family members? I hope everything was manageable for everyone.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I am sending positive vibes and cyberhugs to all of you impacted by the storm and its wrath.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

About 2 million without power, so we may not hear from folks in the near future.  In some areas they are estimating up to 2 weeks to get everyone on line again.

Special thoughts for those caught in the midst of this storm and those yet facing flooding issues as it moves northeast.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Granddaughter's Parish is going to be without water for weeks, without power for weeks, roads impassable, many home and buildings down, two hospitals being evacuated, no sewers functioning as power to them went down, (no toilets)  Strict curfew; no evacuees are to come back as yet.   This information came from Sheriff's Dept. and is based on no actual outside assessment as yet; that began at daylight and they will then know what the particulars are. One of the levees is having overage issues, so trying to work at that too.

Granddaughter's home was not expected to survive the onslaught; they were in the worst of the storm outside Houma which stalled above them.  Thank goodness she, her husband and two children evacuated.  Feel so bad for them; they are not wealthy, so losses will be harsh.  No Hurricane Insurance; was so expensive and they were in an area that insurers did not want to cover.  They are on their own for everything which will be catastrophic if the worst happened.

J.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Ed, thanks for asking. I'm in Dallas AGAIN. Had to rush here Friday bc hospice called, mom seemed possibly near death. I don't know what to think about moms condition. She's weak, quiet, sleeps a lot. Also eats a lot recently. I think if Dad were not here, she would let go. But who knows, I'm certainly not qualified to make such judgements. Personally, I wish she would pass away in her sleep with a happy heart. 

My parish has pretty much been destroyed. I'm too tired to talk about Ida AND my parents. My dad is the biggest issue at this point. I'm going home Friday, no electricity, no water and no gas. I'm going home. There's work to be done, people need help. Ed, I love you to the moon and back. LT, I'm grateful for you & Ed.

I'll be in touch.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Jo, I'm grateful your granddaughter and her family are safe. It sounds like she could be a close neighbor. She will be in my prayers. My 23yo nephew lived in Lafitte. His house is gone. Completely gone. We still have him and I'll take that anyday!
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

ABC, I am so glad you and your nephew are safe! 

Thank you for the update. I am relieved to see your post and hear you are okay. The damage, property destruction, and disruption of services due to Ida are intense and difficult to fathom. 

I am so sorry for what you are going through with your parents. I too hope your mother passes peacefully with a happy heart.

I am with you in spirit friend. I am grateful for you and your safety.

Enjoy the flushing toilets and hot coffee while you are in Dallas. They may be scarce when you return home. God be with you and your loved ones. 

LT

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thinking of all of you.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Abc, I'm so sorry for what you are going through with your parents. And with all the destruction. But I'm glad many more people weren't killed with the storm. I wish I could help with things down there.

We have two sons living in TN, and it looks like they might have more flooding in store for them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more