Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

50 years(1)

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

50 years ago I spent an evening talking to a second year "math girl" in a stairwell  at the University.  I knew her slightly. We had both just moved into the first coed dorm.   I had been the tour guide when she came in in 1970 and she had dated my roommate for while. But I had never really talked to her. I had met her parents when she moved in and had loaned them my grocery cart for moving stuff. We sat in in the stairwell since we both had roommates.  Sitting in the stairwell talking to her I was enchanted and transformed. I had never met anyone like her. She was simply stunningly brilliant. She was amazed that a guy was interested in her ideas and ambitions. I simply lost interest in anyone else although she showed no interest in dating me. Based partly on my roommate's comments she had described me to her mother as a "drunken bum with lecherous intentions."   As it turned out her mother liked  me and thought I was very suitable.  50 years is a long time but I remember it like yesterday as the night I found the love of my life. We spent a year talking in the stairwell.    Our first real date was the following June and that December I asked her to marry me.      My only consolation with her Alzheimer's is that  is that we had a lot of fabulous years before it hit.   We were married in 1975 and in 2016 we could still go to Africa.  41 years with Wonder Woman is more than most get.

I  wish you all the best of memories. 

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Yes, you seem to have enjoyed your common life a lot, you are lucky for that.  I am sure that even she can’t remember it as you do, she certainly feel it.

50 years ago I was born 1 day ago... and my partner was 2 years old. I think he had a good life but not long enough and he couldn’t enjoy it enough. The same since the diagnosis : over the 27 months since then, we only had 10 months COVID-free. Hopefully I manage to organize 2 very nice trips (California and La Réunion Island). He wanted to go back to Australia l I think it won’t be possible

• Rennbird
    Rennbird Member Posts: 43
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    A Blessed Memory.  Fifty-two years ago, I met my husband on a blind date.  He had returned three months earlier from a year of combat in Vietnam and was assigned to teach at NROTC.  I had returned to graduate school and was running a freshmen residence hall at the same university after living on the island of Kauai for a year.  He had been to Hell and back and I had been in Paradise.  Somehow, we made it to 49 years 3 months.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

54 years ago, tomorrow night, my DH proposed to me by the beach in Cape May, NJ.  We went for celebratory drinks at a sing along bar in town and I gushed to the waitress, "I just got engaged!!!"  She never skipped a beat and said, "Oh, I saw your ring sparkling from across the room". I always remember that sweet server. 

On a lighter note, DH had asked my mom for permission to marry (my dad was dead) and she said "NO."  (Mom was a devout Catholic, DH is Methodist).  Luckily, we ignored her and celebrated our 53rd wedding anniversary on June 8.  My Mom grew to love DH as dearly as her own sons until she died at age 101.  Thankfully, she never "caught on" that DH has Alzheimer's.   It would have broken her heart and hastened her death.  

Memories, bittersweet but treasured.  

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

61 years ago I was sitting in the first day of a university French class.  I saw this tall (6'4") tan, blonde blue eyed man walk in the door.  (Please let him sit next to me I hoped).

He sat next to me, and next summer will be our 60th Anniversary.

Now he is my caretaker, and gentle and caring as can be.  Yesterday he took me to our indoor pool in the transport wheelchair, so I wouldn't have to wear my leg braces.  He even helped me pull on my bathing suit, and helped my dry off when I got out.  

I am very very lucky.  He is in the MCI stage, and maybe that is all it will ever be!  I hope so.  But his family history doesn't encourage me.  However I take it one day at a time.

You guys are the BEST!

ElaineD

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Next week it will be 44 years since I met DW in a poetry writing workshop at the University of Maryland.  I was drawn by her intelligence, her talent, her warmth.  

We were both otherwise involved, at the time, and became good friends.  Eventually, we disentangled ourselves from relationships with SO’s and became an item.  

It’s great to recall such memories, such moments, to sustain us through present difficulties.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    What beautiful and special memories. Thank you all for sharing.
  • karwiy
    karwiy Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

32 years ago last week I met my DH in the bar of a legendary hotel in Chicago. I had just relocated from San Francisco and a friend took me to see the storied Pump Room. DH was at the bar, having stopped in on a walk home from work on a gorgeous Friday October evening. Rather than face nothing but the mail, he stopped in for a drink and the hors d' oeuvres which solved the dinner problem for a bachelor. A large group of lawyers from Florida had a bit too much and were crowding my friend and me; annoyingly so. DH saw what was happening and motioned me to a seat next to him for safe harbor.  He has done that ever since but now it's entirely my turn.

You guys are the best. Thanks for being there and providing opportunity to recall happier days.

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Hold tight to the good memories! Try to focus on the good you had, not what you've lost.

I was 5 when you met your DW. 

• Jude4037
    Jude4037 Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I met my husband when I was in sixth grade and he was a senior in high school. He had come to our home on the lake to swim with my brother. Fast forward seven years and we met again on a train . This month it’ll be 55 yrs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more