Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I think I found it

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I have been washing bed sheets 4 or 5 times per week, but not this week. Parentgiving.com has a new brand that they are handling. It is called Dry Direct. We have been using them for 5 nights now, and I have not had to wash sheets. But I probably should say that she only slept through 1 night (10 hours or so), and the other nights, she got up 2 or 3 times to pee. The ones they replaced were Abri-Flex, but these do not seem to leak like the others. I'm not affiliated with either Parentgiving or Direct Dry, just trying to pass on some good info. Check out how they're made. They're made in Italy, and I would rather buy U.S., but I need what works. https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-ultimate-protective-underwear-9310/p/  

Comments

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed, Thanks so much for sharing this!  I just ordered a case for my husband.
  • Ed1937
    Your welcome. Hope they work out well for you. Parentgiving seems to be a good company.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

I received my order of Dry Direct briefs yesterday.  I put them on my husband yesterday at 3:00 pm and no leaks.  He had them on all night.  I usually buy CVS brand.  What a big difference!  The new briefs are a little heavier in weight and extremely absorbent.  

Great recommendation, Ed!

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    DIYr.  Good to know. I asked the company to send me a sample. I am still waiting for it. I will report back after I get it.
  • slippednfell
    slippednfell Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Thank you for sharing!  We aren't there yet but it is good for future reference!

My mother who is incontinent due to a spinal issue might find these better that what she currently uses.

• Ed1937

DIYer, I'm glad they're working for you. We had our first leak after 10 or 11 days of dryness. I can't be sure, but I think she probably didn't have them pulled up properly. Time will tell.

June, I ordered samples of a different brand before. It took quite a while to get the samples, but I've put in regular orders twice, and they were very quick to get them here. 

I should have mentioned that they have people who were caregivers working for them who take phone calls. So although I've never used that (free) service, it seems like you might get better information from them than someone from the general public. 

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Ed1937. I was just on their site. They look fabulous. I wish they came with a style that opens at the sides for easier changing when the user doesnt want to "pull up" the garment. Although my DW in in a long term care facility I would gladly supply them for her use if they had one the caregivers could put on her without the hastle of pull-up varieties.
  • June45
    markus8174 wrote:
     I wish they came with a style that opens at the sides for easier changing when the user doesnt want to "pull up" the garment. Although my DW in in a long term care facility I would gladly supply them for her use if they had one the caregivers could put on her without the hastle of pull-up varieties.

Markus, they do have "briefs". Look at about the middle of this page,

https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-by-parentgiving-1069/c/

• Ed1937
  • markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    June45 thank you for the link. I'll be ordering some for the love of my life today.
  • Newbernian
    Newbernian Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you for the info.  I'm not there yet but this disease is a day by day occurrence.  I will definitely bookmark the webpage.  I never heard of it.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Ed- Thanks for the tip. DW’s legs are so thin that a full flow accident is not contained by Depends. One question though; do you follow the recommendation of three changes per day?  Getting my wife to change them once per day is difficult enough!
  • Ed1937
    Hi David. We actually only use them at night, not long before going to bed. Most of the time she goes into the bathroom during the day, and when she doesn't, the cheaper pull ups work for her. This can get expensive when you have other things to take care of. If I did use them during the day, I wouldn't change them at all until just before bedtime. First thing in the morning, and just before bed would be the times they would be changed. But these things seem to keep her from becoming wet, even though they are holding a lot.
  • Carol from Arizona
    Carol from Arizona Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I just ordered the sample one.  They look to be detachable on the sides, which seem like they would be a good thing for changing in and out of them.  I hope he likes them.
  • June45
    I said that I would report back after I received my Dry Direct sample of the Ultimate Protective underwear. It is very nicely made but it didn't fit my husband as well as the level 3 Abri-Flex that I am currently using. I think what it boils down to it getting a quality brand, like DryDirect, Abri-Flex, Tranquility, etc. that fits the anatomy of the loved one. It will probably be different for everybody.  Ed, I am glad that you posted about this brand because it will probably work well for a lot of folks.  It is indeed nicely made.  So those of you who are or will be in the market for protective underwear, it is worth trying.

Btw Ed, were you using level 2 or level 3 Abri-Flex before you switched over to Dry Direct?  

• Ed1937
    Hi June. I had to look at my receipt to be sure. It was Abrena Abri-Flex Protective Underwear (level 3). I think you are right about the fit. Both seemed to fit my wife pretty well, but for whatever reason, the Abri-Flex leaked, where the Dry Direct does not. I think it's been sixteen nights now, and we only had one leak, probably because it was not puled up properly.
  • June45
    Ed1937 wrote:
    Hi June. I had to look at my receipt to be sure. It was Abrena Abri-Flex Protective Underwear (level 3). I think you are right about the fit. Both seemed to fit my wife pretty well, but for whatever reason, the Abri-Flex leaked, where the Dry Direct does not. I think it's been sixteen nights now, and we only had one leak, probably because it was not puled up properly.

Thanks Ed,  and wishing you continued success with DryDirect.  Besides the fit, my husband also has a bladder the size of a camel's hump. His underwear must be 20lb in the morning! 

• Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thanks Ed!  I ordered a package of the tear-away.  Although my husband doesn't need them yet I want to have them on hand.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more