Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Real Hope or Snake Oil?

DJnAZ
DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
100 Comments Second Anniversary

An online article titled "Is This The End of Alzheimer's?" caught my attention this morning. 

Do I wish it was real? Absolutely! Do I suspect they may be selling a lot of sizzle rather than the steak? Maybe. But it is worth taking a look at for those of us caring for loved ones with the hideous disease. While this particular information may be false hope, it is about time all of the years of research work and money invested find ways help or cure this disease.

Link to the article: 

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/bredesen-alzheimers-research/

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I was just about to send you the same link. USF is renowned for their excellent dementia clinic. They are awesome.

Another report re a woman who placed her husband on the protocol:

https://californiahealthline.org/news/article/alzheimers-inc-colleagues-question-scientists-pricey-recipe-against-memory-loss/

Dr. Bredesen has training for physicians to become part of his referrals and more.  It is not cheap; MDs have to pay for the training. If you note in the link, Bredesen also has a menu of vitamins and other such items which are sold to the patient$200 a month for them and also had other "extras" she had to pay for outside of the initial expensive amount she already had paid..  Dr's who are trained and pick up patients sell the vitamins, etc.  It can be a lucrative business in addition to all else.

I myself would not buy into this, but that is just me.  If it were working astoundingly well, we would hear it being shouted from the rooftops, every media outlet world-wide would be packed with the information and interviews and the Alz Assn would be right there with the news; supporting and letting us know.   Certainly have not seen any of that happen.

Will keep hoping for that "real hope" to appear and be so amazing that it IS indeed shouted from the rooftops and have the world-wide media outlets in overdrive.

Until then we do the best we can with Best Practices.

J.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    The only thing that “ends Alzheimer’s” is death.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I read his book.  His treatment involves many expensive tests and a very strict diet/exercise/medication regimen to correct the deficiencies pinpointed by the tests.  The theory is AD is the result of dozens of diseases, from heavy metal poisoning to bacterial infection to whatever, so rigorous testing is required to isolate the cause(s) of the disease and prescribe treatment.  None of this is covered by insurance, so it's all out of pocket.

A local neurologist is offering the protocol, and has published his own book that very nearly plagiarizes Dr. Bredesen's.  I can pay the $10,000+ the treatment would cost, but my wife won't even eat blueberries on her ice cream or go for walks, so the thought of her complying with any kind of holistic treatment with physical therapy etc. is laughable.

That doesn't mean the treatment wouldn't work, if you have the money and if the patient will comply.  The only things I'm sure of are Dr. B et al. are making a lot of money, and it won't be mine they get.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    The bottom line:  No lifestyle intervention has been shown to prevent Alzheimer's or slow the progression.  Period.  Snake oil.  Sorry, DJ.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Don’t you think that if the Bredesen protocol was of any benefit, it would make the national news?

Shame on Dr. Bredesen for making money off desperate people.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    As I suspected. Snake oil. My first reaction was if this is really news worthy, why am I only hearing about it through a news feed on the Internet? And, yes, it is a shame this doctor and many others are opportunists taking advantage of those suffering through AD.

But the real shame there is still so little known and even fewer possibilities for a cure. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Multiple countries working fast and furious striving to do just that; but  thus far it has been elusive.

J.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    You’re right DJ, some internet app has profiled you and fed you that story.
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Sorry, I just have to weigh in on this.

When my sister was first diagnosed, my brother went searching around online and found the Bredesen stuff. At the time I knew nothing of Alzheimer's so I went along with it -- until I saw how much the whole thing cost ($5,000 for the first month). Then I dug around some more, and it really seemed scammy to me.

When you sign up for the program you have to sign up for their 'newsletter' as well - which costs $75 a month.  It's essentially curated news articles that anyone can find on the internet. The whole program (expensive supplements aside) is essentially what we know as 'best practices'. So yes, get good sleep, follow a good diet (although Bredesen prefers keto), and get enough exercise. All of that is good (although I'm agnostic on the keto part), but ground breaking it is not.

My brother still wanted to try it (hey, it's our sister's money, not his own, so why not?), but thankfully I'm the one with POA, and I put my foot down and said no. He's been upset with me ever since.  Meh.

I'm still considering filing an unfair and deceptive business practices complaint with the CA state AG's office.  That's how offensive I find all of this.

• Stuck in the middle
    Bredesen's book is titled "The End of Alzheimer's" FWIW
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Whatever you read is old news.  Dr. Bredesen has been promoting his regimen for years now.  One of the members of my Memory Club consulted with him.  The food program was restrictive.  I don't know how much it cost but they said it was expensive (out-of-pocket).  They eventually stopped because they did not see evidence of improvement.

Drs. Dean and Ayesha Sherzai of Loma Linda University Medical Center are involved in clinical studies.  They have a book which details what we call Best Practices.  It is more about prevention but you could get their book and follow along.  

Best Practices may prolong the early stages.  Following Best Practices is NOT treatment towards a cure.  Results in more advanced than early stage PWDs may be elusive.  I have been following Best Practices for years.  I don't have AD, my diagnosis is cognitive impairment nos.

Iris

• Stuck in the middle
    I do best when I do what I learned in Kindergarten.  Eat my veggies, get some exercise, clean up my room, brush my teeth, do my homework, save some money, don't smoke . . .

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more