Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Something brand new and very scary!

CS 63
CS 63 Member Posts: 32
10 Comments First Anniversary
Today was a really hard day all around.  Many of you live through worse everyday but today was a first for me.  I read all of your posts and although they aren'T sugar coated it doesn't seem real until you actually go through it. My 56 year old HWD has had his ups and downs.  Most recently some anger/agression issues which are being helped by Resperidone. I thought it was hard calling 911 and having the police come but today was harder.  He had an episode this morning which might have been another seizure ( he hasn't had one since medicated for it in June) or it was just a brain malfunction.  Anyway it seemed like his brain couldn't tell his body what to do.  I asked him to open his mouth, lift his arm, wiggle his toes, nothing.  But when his nose itched he automatically moved his hand to itch it.  Anyway, once things settled and he was able to move on his own again he seemed okay but not quite.  After supper, following our usual routine -he let's me floss and brush his teeth and then he goes to bed.  He was good with the teeth but not so much with going to bed.   He kept saying he needed to go home and he didn't know where his wife was and why she wasn't there. I said I was his wife and he said that there are many wives but I wasn't the one he needed.  With alot of coaxing and asking if he trusted me I got him to lay down in bed, he did but I could tell he wasn't relaxing.  I left the room for a bit and went back in and said here I am, everything is ok now.  He said he was still confused and just had to trust me.  He is still in bed and I am hoping for the night.  I just kept telling him that he is confused because of the episode this morning and he would be clearer in the morning - but will he?  I texted our Dr and she said he might bounce back but not to where he was.  All of his moods and anxiety over the years was hard but he knew me, our house and was comfortable in his routine, this is something brand new and very scary!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm not a doctor, but if this is brand new, it could be a UTI, even if he doesn't show other symptoms. UTIs can cause sudden changes, sometimes very severe changes. If he has one, then it gets treated, and clears up, the symptoms should cease. I know. I've been there more than once. If you have him tested for UTI, please ask for a culture. This will give them the best information on what to use to clear it up. If they use the wrong stuff, it might not do anything for the infection. Best of luck.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Yes, check for UTI.

Iris

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Just for humor and I've told this story before

DW came down to breakfast.  Looked at me and asked "did I have sex last night?"

I said Yes

She said "Was it with YOU?" 

I said YES

She says "good, I was worried"

• newbloomer
    newbloomer Member Posts: 15
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    On occasion, my hubby doesn't know what to do.  Sometimes its using the toilet, BM, sometimes its using his fork. He almost always remarks, that's awful I can't remember what to do.   Yes he stands at toilet sometimes when I take him and says, now what do I do.  But later he's ok.  It's like a short circuit that comes off and on.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Wondering if he is developing sundown syndrome.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more