Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is being cold a common symptom?

I have noticed a number of you mentioning your LO will be turning up the heat.  This is something my dad does routinely.

We have tried to get him to put on a sweater, with limited success.

He always wears long sleeve shirts and usually wants to put a jacket on to go outside no matter the temp.

Comments

• Starfare
    Starfare Member Posts: 3
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    Neuro disorders effect the central nervous system that controls body temp.  My husband will get chills and is unable to get warm at times.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Being cold is common in the elderly with or without dementia.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I had the same question about 1 year ago. My partner is only 52 years old and always cold. 

He spends his time rubbing his arms

He was sleeping in a sleeping bag in addition to his double comforter. So I bought the warmest comforter. Then I  found the old ones on top. Right now he spends his free time in the veranda where it is very hot. 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DW wears turtleneck sweaters in the dog days of August.  And a shawl over them.  Dislikes showering because she gets cold getting undressed.

Pre-AD, she was always too warm.

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

This is a subject very important to me.

1. As M1 pointed out, the elderly begin to lose their temperature regulation.  So it is particularly difficult to 'warm up' and they feel cold.

2. As Starfare pointed out, temperature dysregulation from neurological damage to the CNS is common.  So feeling cold or hot all of the time results.

3. I have many neurological problems, including damage to my CNS,  and my version of temperature dysregulation is that I'm always hot. 

I keep the thermostat as low as possible, preferably 70/71.  And I sleep with a table fan blowing directly on me!

My DH is 82 and he feels cold most of the time.  You can imagine what a mismatched pair we are.  And we don't dress according to our temperature sense.  DH wears shorts and short sleeved shirts (always cold) and I wear long pants and long sleeved tops (always hot).

Clearly we should change our clothing styles!  He won't change, even tho' he's cold.  I think he dresses for the outside temperature, which is well over 90 every day now.  He has a blanket over his legs when he watches TV.

I wear long pants to cover my leg braces, and long sleeved tops to cover the purple blotches on my arms, year round.  Oh vanity!  I don't even own any shorts or short sleeved shirts.  

For the past 4-5 years DH and I have dueled over the thermostat.  I turn up the AC in summer, turn down the heat in winter, so I feel cooler.  DH then changes the thermostat so he feels warmer.

PS  I managed 7 people in our office.  The women were always cold, the men were always hot.  Thermostat wars ensued.  I had to lock the thermostat and take away the key.

The cold women wore very light clothing (polyester dresses, for example). The hot men wore heavy clothes (wool suits).   Go figure.

• slippednfell
    slippednfell Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Wow, I hadn't considered linking my DH's being cold with his AD.  He sleeps practically all the time so he sits on the sofa in a winter jacket, slumped over, often sleeping even when it is 75 degrees in here.  It is annoying to look at but I am glad for the time to myself.  He refuses to wear the long underwear I got for him.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    If I nap, I get cold, I guess because I'm not moving.  I would wear a jacket to nap in a 75 degree room too, just because I'm 74 years old.  I don't have dementia but I'll be getting out the long underwear in a couple of months.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    ElaineD wrote:

PS  I managed 7 people in our office.  The women were always cold, the men were always hot.  Thermostat wars ensued.  I had to lock the thermostat and take away the key.

The cold women wore very light clothing (polyester dresses, for example). The hot men wore heavy clothes (wool suits).   Go figure.

That attire was required when I went to work for the SSA in 1970.  A man without a tie or a woman in pants would be sent home to dress "properly".  I remember perspiring while the woman at the next desk had a cardigan over her legs.  Silly, like most arbitrary rules.
  • ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Nothing like having the heat turned to 79 while you’re having a hot flash.
  • Bitman70
    Bitman70 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My wife is in the severe stage of dementia.  She says she's cold much of the time, but it's summer and our house stays about 80 degrees. If I let her use a blanket, when I feel her arms she feels too warm to me. I started putting a sheet on her instead.  She feels covered, and that seems to satisfy her brain. I don't think she is getting the correct signals from the brain as to whether she is hot or cold. If a fan is blowing on her, that increase the cold sensation. The sheet helps with that too.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband will come down and turn up the heat to 83 or 84 degrees F. I will be down the basement almost throwing up because I am so hot. I leave the heat on for one or two cycles and then shut it off. He also struggles with cold feet due to poor circulation. 

We are at such opposite ends of the spectrum. I keep my room/sanctuary very cool. I sleep better with the fans going.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more