Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Electric shaver

Can anyone recommend a good electric shaver that actually cuts the whiskers? My DH does not have a heavy beard, but this issue has been a thorn in my side for years. I have a closet-full of mediocre shavers that are going in the trash; some which were not exactly cheap Must one spent over $300 dollars for a decent shaver? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MsPatti
    MsPatti Member Posts: 3
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    My DH uses a Braun model 5762 that I purchased at Target.  It works ok. I need to keep it charged and clean but he uses it while sitting in his chair.  He gets most of his face but always saves some for me.
  • MsPatti
    MsPatti Member Posts: 3
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    I should add that it works well if used daily.  If the whiskers get too long I need to get them shorter with the haircut clippers. Then finish up with the razor.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Did he use an electric shaver before ?  if not it can be a disaster
     FwIW I absolutely hate them 

Terrible shave and painful

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

I shave my husband and I recommend the Wahl Life proof Lithium Ion Foil Shaver.   It's waterproof and holds a charge for a long time.  I bought one a year ago and it's still holding up very well.  It doesn't hurt my husband.  

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thank you all so much for your advice. Highly appreciated
  • NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

We use a Norelco 6880 ($100) three head rotary shaver for DH’s face, neck and head. The rotary shaver seems to work better on his hair which is a mix of curly, straight, coarse, fine and grows in various directions It does take longer to shave, but gets more hair than the multiple foil shavers we’ve used. It can also be used with shaving cream and in the shower.

That said, it really depends on the type of hair and how often one shaves. The foil shavers work well for many people. 
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think part of the secret is to shave frequently.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    jfkoc wrote:
    I think part of the secret is to shave frequently.
    I agree. Shave more frequently.  If I wait more than two or three days, shaving is more difficult. 
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

He shaves daily, but it is hit and miss how much he gets done. I don't really want to have to resort to doing this like in the fist year because it makes him feel more independent. But if he has to go somewhere--recently for an MRI--I have to get out the disposable ones and do it myself.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney