Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Manly adult bibs

Meal times are messy here. I am considering purchasing adult bibs for DH. 

1. Does your loved one use an adult bib?
  2. Is using a bib worth the expense and/or the hassle? 
  3. Does the bib fasten with a snap, tie, velcro or other? 
  4. Besides ClassyPal, where can I find masculine looking bibs?
Thanks all.

Comments

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I bought a navy blue adult bib with a crumb catcher for my husband.  It was $12.99 at Amazon.  It has Velcro and can be easily cleaned.    Haven't used it yet.  I have a large plastic mat underneath my husband's chair and dining room table.  He drops a lot of food and this mat makes cleaning up a lot easier.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    It's not exactly what you asked, but my mom (who doesn't have dementia) is busty and has essential tremor and often spills on herself. She's taken to wearing a bib-front apron when she eats. If he helps you prepare meals or lay the table, this may be a way to protect him while maintaining his dignity.

My mom jokes about how messy she is, so one of my nieces got her some disposable lobster bibs online. They also have washable versions for people for about half what that site has. 

A friend has a son with a motor disability, she takes the tees and polos he's outgrown and makes a popover style bib by cutting off the sleeves and back and finishing the edge with her serger or bias tape. 

HB
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I wear a bib. I have dropped food on myself  maybe forever. Mines is a dishtowel with french words etc and has elastic to go behind my head.

One thought I had in case your husband has a negative reaction is to wear one your self.

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Aprons work just as well. Just a thought.
  • Gardeningartist
    Gardeningartist Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I bought the One Cool Dude adult bib from Amazon.  It is very good quality but a little pricey.  DH really likes it.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I have been looking at adult bibs online. One of the ads stated the bibs are useful during the morning commute. Oh My Gosh! I wish I had thought of that while I was still working. I have spilled gallons of coffee on my clothes over my career years. 

And I still am quite the spiller when I am eating. If I buy the bibs, not doubt I will get one for myself as well.  If DH doesn't use his, I will still use mine.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    You can search for “chef aprons” on Amazon and find bunches, washable, $10-$20, for men (and women). I know lots of men who wear them like bibs to eat, and to cook, regardless of dementia, especially shellfish and barbecue. They were a popular gift item in our family, men too, for years.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I wear an old shirt backwards over my good clothes.  It looks odd but I eat alone.

Iris

• Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Lady Tex,  I saw this online a couple of weeks ago and plan to make a few for my husband but if you don't sew you can look on Etsy.com  as they have many styles of men's adult bibs including ones like the photo here.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I bought a 3 pack of Terry cloth adult bibs from Amazon and had no trouble selling DH on them. I always wear an apron in the kitchen, I started keeping it on while I eat and telling him I cover my clothes too to keep them clean. He loves to save money so he likes the idea of less laundry, Makes things much easier in our house.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

My children give them to me as Birthday presents

• mommom9
    mommom9 Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Bibs worked for me. Easier then stains. I also bought from Amazon (bibs for men there are several choices)  Velcro fastener in back worked great and easy to remove.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    My wife has taken to wearing a nightgown over her clothes most of the day. A benefit of this is that serves as a clothing protector when she eats and drinks.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. But every time I see the title of this thread, I picture a bib with pin-up girls on it. Most of my wife's tops are so food stained, I just let her wear them at home.
  • HLG
    HLG Member Posts: 2
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    Great question! I saw on facebook a very cool idea: mens button down shirt, cut off sleeves and back, essentially jsut the collar with velcro fastening in the back + front. Im not describing it well but someone made it and it looked spiffy. My DH has many button down shirts he does not wear. When I need it, will ask my alterations person to help me. Good luck!
  • Ed1937
    Lady, I'm sorry, but every time I look at your trophy, I see a blue glove with a middle finger sticking up.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Oh My Ed. It's not a middle finger. But now that you have said it, I can see it. and I can't unsee it.  

While the middle finger seems warranted for this cruel disease, I am sorry if I offended anyone. 

I will gladly change out the picture, for anyone, for any reason. Just say the word. No Questions asked.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Offended, are you kidding.  We love your picture! If you drop it, I suspect someone else on here will pick it up.

Besides, that might just be a thumb...you know how incorrigible Ed is. (Just kidding Ed!)

• Ed1937
    LadyTexan wrote:

While the middle finger seems warranted for this cruel disease, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

It's perfectly applicable. If you delete it, I suspect out online family will be protesting in your front yard.

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Here are adult bibs for men.  These are much easier to keep clean than anything of cloth or nightgowns or big shirts.

Many of us completely 'normal' (HA!) adults wear them in our gracious dining room to keep our 'beautiful clothes' pristine.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=adult+bibs+for+men&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

ElaineD

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living