Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A Bit of a Rough Morning and a Sign

This morning my husband got into the shower and I got him washed and dried with no issues.  Then when I tried to get him dressed he spat at me and clapped his hands together and caught my arm in between.  He would not let me dress him.  As I was trying to put his disposable briefs on him he cursed, etc.  I pleaded "Please send me a sign that this is going to end soon".   My husband is difficult to take care of.

I finally got him dressed when he calmed down a half hour later, gave him breakfast and then he sat on the couch for a couple of hours.  While he was sitting I went outside to clean the awning.  When I was finishing I looked up to the sky and saw a bald eagle soaring near our house. I've never seen one near our house so I took this as a very good sign that this nightmare will come to an end sooner (or later).  I hope so.  

Comments

• karwiy
    karwiy Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

I've always believed birds to be messengers.

May both you and your DH be able to find some relief and serenity along the way as you navigate this nightmare journey.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Cyberhugs for you dear DIYr. This journey is often unbearable. You are strong. You are courageous. 

From what I have read, the journey feels like forever, until its over. 

My prayers are with you. May God bring you peace. May He give you strength to endure the hardship.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    My grandmother was half Native American and half German. She would always say that the hawk is the messenger and the eagle is a sacred sign of strength, courage, honor, power and freedom.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Coming from England, a bird in the house was a terrifying thing signalling death.

However, I love animals and birds fill me with such awe and wonder. I believe you are right, it is a sign and a very positive one at that. I hope you have easier days in the future.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Even if it wasn't a sign, it must have been so uplifting to see a bald eagle! They're making a comeback of sorts in my area. I saw the first one of my life about 8 years ago. Since then I've seen them 2-3 times a year. I just love seeing them!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    No comment on the bird but  a suggestion. Once the depends are one consider the battle done.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thanks everyone for your support.   I find relief each day when my husband is sleeping.  It's nice to sit outside to relax, watch and listen to nature.  I was surprised and elated when I saw the eagle, what an awesome treat.  

This nightmare journey seems like it'll never end even though my husband is progressively getting worse.  His high agitation mode is really difficult to deal with.  Getting the disposable briefs off and on often is a battle.  I dread it every time it needs to be done.

• Bitman70
    Bitman70 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My wife started to be incontinent about a month ago. I have issues with the depends too. She will sometimes still go into the bathroom on her own.  When she does, she often pulls down her jeans, but leaves the depends up soaking them.  I try to go in there with her even if she doesn't want me to in order to assist her. I find it the easiest way to change out pants and depends is with her sitting on the toilet.  I insist that I finish the job and tell her it will only take a short time. She will get mad sometimes and tries to get up and leave early, but with me being taller and stronger than her, I've always been able to complete the task...so far.  That plan probably wouldn't work so well in your case.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more