Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My DW Thinks I'm Her Step-Father

I need advice from some of you experts.  My DW was diagnosed with ALZ about a year and a half ago.  Her short term memory is not good, but we're doing fine after 55 years of marriage.  However, in the last few weeks she periodically thinks I am her step-father.  Sometimes this goes away after a few hours.  I have found leaving the house for an hour or so helps end this dilusion.  The real problem starts when this continues through bedtime.  She is very agitated when she thinks her step-father is going to bed with her.  I've tried lots of things.  Unfortunately, many wrong.  I have used photos, driver license, arguing, etc.  all wrong and I know it at the time, but I guess I am just frustrated.  I have waited for her to go to sleep before I go to bed.  I have stopped short of going to bed in another bedroom. I tell her she is safe and don't try to be intimate in any way. 

Do any of you experienced caregivers have any advice?

Comments

• slippednfell
    slippednfell Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I am also new to this and can't imagine how difficult this must be for you.  Unfortunately, I don't have any advice or any suggestions that I can offer up to you... just support for what you are experiencing.
  • sskills
    sskills Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks for your kind response.  You know, in a way, this seems a little like having your first child.  No learner's permit.  No idea what to expect.  Every night's an opening night!  Never know what to expect or how to react to it.  Trial and error.
  • slippednfell
    slippednfell Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Well said!  I hadn't thought of it that way but you're spot on.  

I hope this phase will pass quickly so bedtime isn't so stressful for either of you.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My DW had similar delusions 2-3 years ago.  A very small dose of Seroquel on a daily basis cleared those up or at least made her quickly let go of them.  The dose has increased from time to time over the years.  She now take two or three 25mg pills starting at 1PM or so.  Bring this behavior up with your neurologist and he/she may have a med to help with it.  Rick
  • sskills
    sskills Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks.  I'll check this out with her doctor.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more