Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Telephone frustration

The police were at our door today.  It seems my DH was so frustrated on the telephone he threatened a business.  Now I am afraid to leave him alone even if I am in another part of the house.  We need to keep our landline because it is captioned for the hearing impaired.  It is difficult for him to follow a conversation and to navigate telephone menus (press 1 for this , press 2 for that, etc).  Anger and frustration builds until he explodes.  What to do?

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    If he’s doing that he shouldn’t be using a phone at all.  I know that’s not the answer you want.  He could ultimately be arrested for terrorist threats and they won’t make allowances for illness. Could cost you a mountain of $ before it’s sorted.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I don’t know if it exists but I imagine it should exist. : you could search a phone with a password as our cell phones.

It seems that he is no more able to use it correctly (for right purposes), so he shouldn’t use it. If he needs to use it to call family or friends he will just have to ask you.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Perhaps you could unplug the phone when it's not in use, and hide the cord?
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    dayn2nite2 wrote:
    If he’s doing that he shouldn’t be using a phone at all.  I know that’s not the answer you want.  He could ultimately be arrested for terrorist threats and they won’t make allowances for illness. Could cost you a mountain of $ before it’s sorted.

I agree that he should not be using the phone, but the ability to comprehend that you are making a threat is part of the mens rea of a crime.  So if he knew he was making a threat but it was driven by the illness its one thing if he had no idea he was making a threat its another. 

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

And how much for a lawyer to argue all that?  We have members here who have been prosecuted for crimes due to their dementia and I’m sure their defense wasn’t cheap.

Much cheaper to prevent than defend.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    dayn2nite2 wrote:

And how much for a lawyer to argue all that?  We have members here who have been prosecuted for crimes due to their dementia and I’m sure their defense wasn’t cheap.

Much cheaper to prevent than defend.

Different issue

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree, better to have him and the phone part ways.

I answer the phone now, he can’t handle being told when to come for an appt. etc. I take care of all those details. 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lizzielou wrote:
    The police were at our door today.  It seems my DH was so frustrated on the telephone he threatened a business.  

This is very scary! Why was he so frustrated?  Medications may help.  Get rid of all guns and weapons.  Once he has attracted the attention of the police, it does not look good.  Don't let him out of your sight!

Addendum: ask the non-emergency police number for the process to transport a reluctant PWD in distress.  Also call the Helpline and speak with a Care Consultant.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney