Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

VENT - Pooping Confusion

DH has been in disposable briefs for quite a while. I watch him like a hawk when he is my eye sight to get him to the bathroom. And he has gotten much better at telling me when he feels the need to go.

This morning DH let me know that he needed to go to the bathroom. I got him successfully to the toilet. He later told me he was done. I wiped his hiney and pulled up his drawers. We washed our hands together. Then he kept washing his hands. I returned to my cold coffee in the living room. DH was still in my eye sight.

DH spent more time washing his hands, which is unusual. Next thing I know he was picking at his butt. I asked what's wrong. DH pulled out a handful of poop. Argh. So in this case, DH knew he had to go and thought he knew when he was done but he was a little off. Thank goodness for the disposable briefs as they contained the mess. I got DH in the shower and cleaned up. 

This was just another eye opener for me about the craziness of this disease and the disconnect between the brain and the body and the bodily functions. Fecal incontinence is the real s#it show. When I hear others casually throw the term around, I want to scream "You have no idea!"

Comments

• Newbernian
    Newbernian Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Oh Darlin', I feel so bad for you.  I am not there, yet.  I feel your aggravation and frustration, already.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    LadyTexan wrote:

I want to scream "You have no idea!"

Isn't that the truth? At least you have people here who understand.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Oh my, LadyTexan, what a way to start your morning and cold coffee to boot!
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Oh LT,,,,

Been there done that, mine would hand it to me......

My sympathy,

Michele

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I just had a flashback to when I was taking care of my mom.  We were in the bathroom and I was about to help her wash her hands and she was digging in her pants.  I asked what she was doing and she brought out a piece and put it on the counter next to the sink.  I got lightheaded and it took everything in me to not pass out and stay calm.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

It is both sad and comforting to have such a large group of people who understand. 

I did stay calm, even cheerful. But the smell factor was off the charts. The bathrooms are now clean and refreshed. I started the aromatherapy mist maker and I am feeling much better.

DH was upset about what happened. He says he doesn't know what is happening to him. Sadly, I know what is happening. You all know what is happening. It goes in one direction: bad to horrible and then to even worse.

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

In the same line.

Yesterday, after dinner, he had a stomachache. I take him to the bathroom. And leave him alone for 1 minute. When I came back he was getting dressed without having done anything. I told him he didn't do anything, he said "no, I didn't finish". So I put him back on the toilet and 1 minute later he got up again without having done anything. When I ask him, he tells me that his stomach doesn't hurt anymore. I gave up.

I told him that I wanted to go to the jacuzzi tonight and asked him if he wants the TV (I don't want to propose him the jacuzzi anymore, it's too complicated to manage). He preferred to go to bed. So pajamas, toothbrush and he in bed, me in the jacuzzi.

30 minutes later, he arrived in the garden saying it's weird I'm wet and showing me the front of his pajamas. I could smell the soap and poo. I thought  "Oh no, now also urinary incontinence". Well no, it was wet with shampoo. He pooped in his pajamas and tried to wash himself with shampoo.

Yes strange to see how they can become se confused with that.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

LT,

Don’t you just hate it when your 24/7 hawk eye vigilance backfires? (Literally and figuratively!).   Very rarely, thankfully, DH becomes slightly constipated.  I can usually tell because he skips several days without a bowel movement and he will remain seated on the toilet  for longer than usual.  He might expel a little something and then he rocks back and forth as though trying to shake something loose.  (Squeamish newbies may want to stop reading at this point.)  I start the clean up with damp wipes, but then soap up a warm, wet wash cloth and dig and scrub away until he’s clean.  It doesn’t happen often and he no longer has the mental wherewithal to try to clean himself up, so bigger, odiferous messes are avoided.  I’ll take that as a win- -?  Good luck, hang in there!  

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dearest Lady,

You are the best and your DH is lucky to have you there for him. That trophy you are holding truly belongs to you.  Please don't overlook taking care of yourself. Hugs Zetta 

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    LT, I’m sorry this is happening at your house too. My momma gets very confused when she needs to have a bowel movement. It’s very strange and incredibly sad.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more