Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Camp Counselor

Perhaps this might help someone else...

My DW was recently officially diagnosed with EO ALZ after several years of decline.  I can still leave her alone for a while but the time is fast approaching when that won't be possible.

While she still mostly recognizes family and close friends, I'm keeping our calendar full with activities.  Going to a familiar venues for live music, museums, gardens, drives.  Road trips with a purpose are especially good.  She does well in the car and is enjoying visiting kids, grands, and lifelong friends.  We use FaceTime with a daughter for making sure that packing goes well.  She would be lost and embarrassed without that help.
All of this is good for me too.  Call it the farewell tour.  It's so much better than stewing in my own juices at home.
Maybe it can work for you too.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That sounds great and I am glad it is working for you.
  • Pathfinder52
    Pathfinder52 Member Posts: 37
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

It will work, until it doesn't -- and you'll know that you need to adjust your plans.

I applaud you for getting on with life to the degree it is possible for you (both) now -- make yourself some good memories and know that you enriched many moments of her life!

Wishing you all the best!
    --p

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living