Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC Visit only a Half Hour

After tormenting months and months, my DH started to decline more rapidly.  He's only 68 with usual endurance for walking and more, but suddenly, he could do nothing and family noticed prodding me to act sooner.  So - I did.

After a very rocky start with him yelling, "I don't want to be here", we left abruptly and within a half hour, the staff had him calm and eating lunch.  The rest of us were overcome with emotions and no one slept that night, feeling horrible the next day.  Soon after daily calls proved my DH was adjusting, helping out with a fire drill, dancing, partaking in activities, but still highly challenged.

Finally able to see him, we were allowed an hour due to my begging since we drove 90 minutes just to get to the community.  Just hugged and held my DH missing him so terribly, but he was noticeably worse.  Plus his feet and ankles were swollen -- never saw that before!

Planning another visit on Sunday, being told "only a half hour", and I'm pushing again for more time.  I can't get there more than once/weekly unless pushed as I still work, but feel for my husband so abruptly not at home and me here trying to find my life, also alone.

Totally vaccinated, wearing masks unless we're alone, don't we deserve so much more time than a half hour?  Hard.....just so damned hard!  When will all this cloistering end?  Just end?

Comments

• Gardeningartist
    Gardeningartist Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary

I don't know about MC but my DH was in rehab for a couple of months.  The first place he went tried to restrict my visits & I found another place that had no restrictions except for visiting hours between 9 & 7.  DH would get very confused & needed me or someone else in the family to help keep him grounded.

I am so sorry that they are making it so hard for you.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I'd move him closer to me with better visiting guidelines.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more