Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

derecho and causing Alzheimer’s????

My Aunt was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s & dementia back in June, I was there when she & my Uncle got back from the neurologist who had read her ct scan & saw/read the paperwork. She was put on medication, don’t know the name, but is for brain/mental issues and states for the slowing of Alzheimer’s symptoms. My Aunt & Uncle have NOT excepted the Alzheimer’s diagnosis & say she is “just fine” & nothing is “wrong” with her, they have said her “memory issues” come from many other things, one being she has hearing issues & just got hearing aides BUT should have gotten them 3 year ago & she’d not have these problems. Now they are saying at her recent doctor visit - the doctor said her memory/brain issues are due to the wind blowing into her ears from the derecho (the hurricane/horrible storm we, in Iowa, experienced a year ago). 

My question is - is this real? Can the derecho cause Alzheimer’s like symptoms?

My Uncle has a tendency to read “conspiracy” like articles on the internet. So I’m wondering did he get this from the web. Last I knew my Aunt’s next doctor’s appointment wasn’t until January.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

TYIA,

Margaret

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Margaret-

Just for shiz'n'giggles I googled those search terms and found this-

Derechos de los afectados por demencia- kNOW Alzheimer

Perhaps he came across this and failed to translate it appropriately? In this case derechos is "rights".

That said, she likely has anosognosia and is unable to recognize the level of impairment she has. Perhaps the husband is going along with her reality as a way to keep her calm and feeling secure. Many of us do not rub the noses of our LOs in their dementia diagnosis as that is unkind and serves not purpose. I totally knew my dad had mixed dementia, but I would never have discussed it with someone in front of him. If dad asked, I might refer to "memory issues" if backed into a corner. Otherwise, we did not discuss it with or around him.

Or maybe he's in denial; it took my mother a loooonnng time to come around to accepting dad's off-the-wall behavior was the result of dementia and a damaged brain. I mean like years- almost a decade.

I sincerely doubt a physician blamed the storm; your uncle is likely just appealing to authority to argue his case. So long as she's well cared for this kind of doesn't matter. 

If she's taking her medication as prescribed, there isn't really much more a doctor can do beyond monitor progression. As a family member, there's not much for you to do except make sure she's safe and cared for. I would, however, keep an eye out around your uncle's cognition especially if this tin-foil-hat nonsense is new or escalating. It's not unusual for both partners in a couple to develop a cognitive shift and one to go unnoticed as they scaffold each other.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I don't think so. The go to Dr would be an Otolaryngologist.     They will be able to check for an ear problem. She may have one plus Alzheimer's.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    This sounds rather misguided to me. I’ve never read or heard that weather, regardless of severity, has anything to do with causing dementia. I think your aunt has anasognosia and your uncle is in denial. Time will sadly tell what is going on. Meanwhile, someone needs to watch both of them because if they go merrily along, as if nothing is wrong, a catastrophe might be the result.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    No, the weather is not a factor, and as was already said and you suspect, I seriously doubt a doctor—or a real doctor— told him that.  But I would be concerned for their safety and well-being, especially if uncle has issues himself. But I don’t know how much you can do, other than watch and support…he has the “say-so” unless/until there’s a huge change or crisis. Or unless you have some legal authority like a POA.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more