Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lazy Sunday Mornings

Today has been a very busy day. It has been full of general care giving duties:

• taking DH to the toilet, multiple times
  • making meals, feeding dh, cleaning up after meals. multiple times
  • showering DH,
  • dressing DH,
  • washing laundry,
  • lighting DH's cigarettes so he doesn't burn his face, multiple times
  • etc. etc. etc.
None of these tasks has been difficult or dramatic, although they can sometimes be. I don't think I have had my butt in a chair for more than 15 minutes today. I am worn out.

I try not to reflect on things we have lost and instead focus on what we still have. It is harder today than usual because I am really missing having a lazy Sunday morning. A morning where I can stay in my jammies as long as I want, where I can drink hot coffee while it is hot, where I can take time to do a crossword puzzle. And maybe go to the park with the dog. 

I almost ache for a day like that. Sadly, I know the only way to have a day like that is either DH dies or I place him. Neither are worth it to me of course. But I long for a lazy day.

Comments

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I so long for those long lazy mornings just relaxing in bed. I have had not only my usual caregiver duties this weekend, but also critter duty for my daughter and her family who were out of town. SO running back and forth, getting up before daylight to let my own dogs out, laundry, cleaning, driving to take care of their dog and reptiles, coming back home to cook, etc.

Then I call my daughter to make sure they got home okay, and she is so involved in multi-tasking--cleaning this and banging things around, shuffling things---it's so hard to hear her and make any sense of the conversation--I started feeling that everything I was saying was being ignored.

I was trying to explain her dad's MRI results, but kept getting interrupted by noise. I was literally ready to scream into the phone to just STOP what you are doing---this is your MOTHER who has been taking care of your FATHER for nearly 12 years ALONE---give me a little respect, please!!!

What is it with that generation---they seem so completely disconnected from respectable social norms. If I had done that to my mother or father or even grandparents-- I would have been hung up on. It's so hard getting any kind of attention and not being taken for COMPLETE and TOTAL granted 24 hours a day.

Anybody got a bottle of wine--it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I used to buy apple fritters in a bakery that had a poster depicting a fritter, a mug of coffee, and the Sunday paper.  The caption was "Fritter your morning away."  I had small children then, so I just sighed.  I would again, if I saw it today.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more