Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Notifing Insurance company

My DH has not driven in close to a year and the renewal is due. Has anyone experienced problems with letting the insurance company know that their spouse no longer drives due to dementia? I figure it would save some money, but at the risk of being cancelled due to his illness, not sure it's worth letting them know.  Please advise. Thank you as always!

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

DID HE TURN IN HIS LICENSE? 

If not please do if he has any acces to the car

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I notified my auto insurance company that my husband has Alzheimer's and to remove him from my policy as soon as his car was sold.  His license will expire in 2023.  He hasn't driven since 2016 and hasn't been out of our house since March.  I keep his license in my wallet.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I have seen other posters say that their insurance premiums actually went up when they were the only one on the policy. Worth checking out.
  • Hal42
    Hal42 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary

My wife gave up driving because of dementia. I called our insurance agent and had my wife removed from the policy. My rate did increase but not significantly. 

Because her driver’s license will expire in the future and she won’t be renewing it, I need to look into getting some other type of identification that will be acceptable to all. I probably need to do this while she is still able to understand and sign for herself.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

My wife's license expired last year and I took her to get a state ID.  They did require her signature.  The best she could do was a bit of a scribble and the guy accepted that.  Getting her to cooperate enough to get her picture was a challenge.  

I checked online with the insurance company and my policy would increase a couple hundred a year if I were to remove her, I didn't.  She hasn't driven in about four years.  I figure the insurance will see at some point that she's no longer licensed and I'll change my policy then.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    My agent told me that hat it was less expensive to keep her on the policy. She has a State issued ID and hasn’t driven in several years.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I hope someone may help to clarify this for me.

If an adult is no longer a licensed driver, regardless of reason, why would the insurance rate go up?  

Is there a discount for multiple drivers?  I think not.

Is there evidence that unlicensed drivers in the same household are "likely" to drive regardless of license status?

It seems very strange to me that an insurance company would want to keep an unlicensed driver on a policy they would have to pay out for in case of an accident.  Or is there some clause in policies regarding liability if an unlicensed person is allowed to drive the vehicle?

Very confusing on the surface.  Must be more to the story.  I am hoping to better understand so I can advise my Mother regarding their situation.

Thanks for any clarification you can give.

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    My insurance policy cost decreased.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    I'm thinking I will let sleeping dogs lie. (grammer?) My DH's license expires next month. Now I wonder if the DMV will notify the Insurance company that one of the drivers is no longer legal? My DH has no keys to use any of our vehicles. He lost his set almost a year ago and I have refused to let him use my copy, telling him if he was to lose that one we would be up S*&^ creek. He no longer protests about the driving, for which I am grateful!
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Another one here with increased insurance once I removed DH from policy. I've no idea why the premium increased, but it wasn't excessive. Problem is, once I'd said he was no longer driving and I didn't need the insurance, I couldn't take it back. I concur - let sleeping dogs lie.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Our rate stayed about the same.  We lost the multi-driver  discount.  Just like we lost the multi-car discount when we sold one of the cars.
  • Tdrinker46
    Tdrinker46 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    In Maryland my husband was able to get an identity card.  The state was notified by his doctor of his AD diagnosis.  The state suspended his license.  The identity card looks just like the driver’s license.  I keep it in my wallet.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

The case we had was demented person but licensed driver and on the title  told irresponsible uninsured grandson he could drive the car

ugly legal situation

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My husband turned in his license last year and got a state ID.  I contacted the insurance company and my premium stayed the same.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I had the same problem with my wife. I asked about getting a photo idea to replace her license and they told me the same thing, you have to bring her in for a photo for a ID card. I continue to let her use her driver's license since she physically cannot drive.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I was told by my insurance that the rates would go up if I removed my wife from the policy. The multi drivers on the policy was the reason.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    In our state of Massachusetts, DH's PCP notified the registry that he shouldn't be driving. They pulled his license, which solved the driving issue for us. But they also notified his insurance company, who sent us a certified letter saying that going forward he was not covered if behind the wheel. And, the premium went down. Just our experience.
  • Cinsababe
    Cinsababe Member Posts: 36
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Our insurance, USAA, required that my husband surrender his license in order to be taken off of the insurance. They said it was required by state law in SC. My insurance went down $36 a month once he was off of it.
  • shardy
    shardy Member Posts: 43
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

We returned his license and he got a state ID. I then explained to my insurance agent he had lost his license through no fault of his.  My insurance premium decreased by quite a bit 

He also offered that should he get the keys and drive we would have the same coverage as if our four year old got them (not sure what coverage that is... We did however have our daughter, who was 7 or 8 at the time pop the car from park to neutral when she was left alone and it rolled down a hill and hit a pole..it was covered)

• NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    @loveskitties Seems these are questions for an insurance agent in your particular area. Insurance is regulated by each states, so rates and regulations vary. However, I agree, it’s counterintuitive that taking a risk (the PWD) off the insurance would raise rates. My guess is that an actuary would say having a PWD in the household increases the risk of an accident, even if the PWD is no longer “allowed” to drive.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more