Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need help(2)

My wife has dementia. Sometimes I feel like there’s no help. I’m stressed out. Currently trying to find some home health care at least twelve hours a week. Also looking into an Elder Law attorney. I’ve contacted one in Sarasota but how do I know he’s my best choice. Any advise or help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi JeFoto. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here.

If I'm not mistaken, Joe C. met with several elder law attorneys  before he picked one to work with. He found there was a lot of difference between attorneys, and what their charges were. That might be your best bet, unless you are pretty sure you have the right one for you. The first meeting might be free of charge, but verify that when making the appointment. That first appointment should let you know what they can do for you, and what the charges will be. Maybe Joe will chime in, and have more to say about this.

• JeFoto
    JeFoto Member Posts: 2
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks for your response. Hearing from Joe would be appreciated. There’s only one lawyer I spoke with so far so I would look forward to recommendations.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

To pass some time, I googled Certified Elder Law Attorneys  in Sarasota, FL ( or something akin to that).  Eventually I came upon a site (justia.com).  If you navigate through that site, there are a number of attorneys listed.  They all  mention elder law as an area of specialization.  If you further delve into their professional profiles, you can discern which ones are members of the National Association of Certified Elder Law Attorneys.  (CELA’s). These are the attorneys you want to investigate.  Start there with telephone interviews, questions, and narrow down your search from there.  You might get recommendations from friends, but be sure to only deal with a certified elder law attorney.  It will be well worth your time and money.

In my case, there is only one CELA in our small city.  He is a former student of DH and a trusted family friend, so it was an easy decision.  We have met with him several times and he has served us well.  It was costly and time consuming, but thorough, and I am confident I/we are secure going forward.  Good luck, take your time, but get it done sooner rather than later.  

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JeFoto,

I live in MA and did interview multiple CELAs. In MA the CELA generally offer a one hour free consultation where they will review any currents wills or other legal documents & your financial situation after which they will provide recommendations and cost estimates for their service. The cost estimates I received range from $1,500 to $6,000. The higher cost packages were generally for revocable trust and actually did not provide the protections I was looking for. Each state’s rules about qualifying for Medicaid, if needed, are a little different so look for someone who clearly explains the Medicaid rules in your stated and then develops a package that best protects your assets. In my case the attorneys that proposed the higher priced packages were not forthcoming about the fact the revocable trust would not provide the protections I was looking for.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Not sure where this guy is related to you but I would trust any recommendation he would give you. He helped m write a chapter in my book and other things. Cant say enough about him. Tell him I sent you if you are not in the same area.

JOHN V. TUCKER

Attorney

Tucker & Ludin, P.A.

5235 16th Street North

St. Petersburg, FL  33703-2611

Phone:  (727) 572-5000

• EssayUK
    EssayUK Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Yes I know many student need help while writing the essay as they think writing an essay is one of the most toughest task so I would recommend them to take help from keywords past  as this platform will provide quality content at affordable
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    JeFoto, As Ed stated I interview 4 attorneys and found a wide price ranging from $1,500 to $6,000 to do the various legal wills, trust, health care and DPOA that I needed. In Massachusetts the CELAs will typically offer a one hour free consultation where they review your situation, make their recommendations about what you need in place and provide a cost estimate for their services, therefore it did not cost anything except my time to interview several attorneys. One thing I found was the higher price attorneys had a one size fits all approach which did not actually meet my needs. Beware of attorneys that tell you a Revocable Trust will protect your assets from Medicaid rules, at least in Massachusetts your need an Irrevocable Trust.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more