Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I need a pollen filter!

We know men don’t shed tears, right? So as I read various posts on this forum, my eyes have a tendency to get moist. Since men don’t cry, it must be a build-up of pollen in the house affecting my eyes. So, therefore I need a pollen filter to eliminate the pollen. I could also use that filter sometimes after tucking her into bed.

God bless y’all and have a blessed rest of the week!

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I feel your pain.  We've had a lot of smoke in the air lately.

Bless you too.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    My eyes get moist when I go for my morning walk. There must be a lot of pollen in the air.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thanks for your spot-on post, Hal42.  I find that the excess pollen situation is getting worse, over time.  Claritin doesn’t seem to help.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Must have to do with the wet summer, I could use one here too.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ditto.

Maybe I am developing a respiratory issue also because sometimes it seems I forget to breath.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I keep a journal of my wife's progress with this disease. This is an entry from last year.

December 2, 2020

I mentioned to my son, Patrick, today: “I want my Mommy. I want her to tell me, ‘Don’t worry, Ronnie. She’ll be alright.’” I said it jokingly, but as I’m recording this, I’m taking it seriously. I guess I need assurances from someone that she will be alright. My mind knows it, but my heart still worries about her. I take emotional strain very well, but sometimes it just becomes too great. While writing this, the strain broke me and I started to cry. It’s not only about what’s happening to her. It’s also about what it’s doing to me. As the song says, “I will survive.” But it won’t be easy.

Sometimes, men do cry.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Just heard these lyrics again today sums it up for me-Pink Floyd:

"How I wish, how I wish you were here!

we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Running over the same old ground, what have we found?

The same old fears--wish you were here."

• Hal42
    Hal42 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Last night while starting this thread I was listening to Daniel O’Donnell and Mary Duff on You Tube.  They started singing “Vaya Con Dios” and I freaking lost it. It was as if the words applied to my wife and my situation. I’m under a lot of stress recently and everything built up and finally broke loose last night. Maybe I need two filters?

Yes, men do cry too! I even shed a tear from time to time at sad movies but I don’t tell anyone. 

• A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Tears are how are heart speaks when our lips cannot describe how much we've been hurt.

Take care of yourself. 

• Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

God bless you, Hal!  Songs really do it for me too but the other day while driving I saw a little house that was similar to my grandparents home back in the 1950's and that was all it took for me to start bawling.  I've had trouble with pollen all summer but never thought of a filter.

Our daughter died suddenly this summer and just 3 weeks ago a friend of ours (for 30 years) died of Covid.  He didn't believe in the vaccines nor the antibodies. So if you find a good pollen filter please let me know.  

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Hal,42, I truly understand those «pollen problems.» A close friend asked me if I had cried for my husband, diagnosed with AD in 2015. I lost my niece last year and I cried my eyes out but I hadn’t cried for my husband until the delusions started. When he thought we were in a hotel in Paris (if only) after watching Jacques Pépin, corrected himself by then thinking we were at my daughter’s house in California, and finally asked where we were, I got a huge pang of anxiety and started to cry…away from him. Yesterday he asked for my father, who has been gone for 25 years. Today he asked if we had heard from his brother, who died in 1985. I’m no longer crying when he goes into his netherworld but it’s yet another indication of decline and loss.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I cry in my dreams. Then wake up choking and still crying. Or sometimes I wake up very early an have forgotten what has happened for a split second. When I remember I cry. I miss being loved.

Guess I need to upgrade my filter--this one doesn't seem to be working.

• Hal42
    Hal42 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I’m totally blown away from all the responses on here. I figured maybe two or three would respond but I was wrong.  Thanks to all!

My condolences to all of you that have lost loved ones to this disease or to other causes. 

Today, after my “melt down” last night I realized I had not turned my problems over to the One who is the Great Physician. No wonder I was in such turmoil. I talked with Him and now I am doing much better. Y’all helped too. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    My favorite fortune cookie ever (and I am not making this up):  Nature, time and patience are the three great physicians.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I was having a zoom meeting with a social worker, when my husband came out and yelled, “why are you talking to that *$%&?” I apologized up and down, but he was so kind to me, I started to cry. I cry a lot, away from my husband or if I am overtired.

I love these answers concerning the pollen filter, sign me up for one too.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Its been a bad pollen year here too. My eyes keep burning and the eye drops don’t help.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

The pollen filter for my circumstances seems not to have been invented yet - I find myself with "pollen" symptoms at the oddest moments, when totally unexpected, and often for even long ago losses of the heart . . . 

Being human can hurt . . . . yet; with thankfulness, I have loved and have been loved . . .

However; I still am blessed to have my beloved husband with me - that would be a loss that I do not know how I would sustain myself.  Speaking from my heart to all of your hearts who have lost or who are losing such a love - I am so very, very sorry. 

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney