Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH is having mobility challenges - suggestions are welcome

I mentioned the following in another thread. I'm reposting in hopes of reaching a larger audience for suggestions:

DH is starting to have mobility issues. His balance is worse. I think it is a combo of the apraxia and lack of meaningful movement. When the OT and PT therapists were coming, DH did his exercises. When it is just me, he is not interested.

The mobility issues are worse at night. At night, DH will wake and realize he wants to go to the bathroom, but DH can't go through the motions to get out of bed and to the toilet. Even though I use the cues, I learned from the therapists, I am not successful.

The geri-psych doc said PWD are more confused at night. I agree and it makes bathroom trips an unwanted adventure. 

Key information: 

1. The toilet is close, less than 10 feet in a straight line,
  2. the path is well lit, 
  3. I am there to assist, I use the cues I learned during DH's therapy,
  4. DH is confused, 
  5. I do not have the physical strength to lift DH out of bed or carry him to the bathroom.
I feel defeated. So I am adapting the best I can.

Q1 - Do any of you deal with similar challenges? If so, how do you address it?

Q2 - Does your PWD have the ability to use a walker? If so, does the walker help or hinder trips to the bathroom?

Any suggestions are always welcome.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

LT, suddenly a couple of months or so ago my husband started having significant mobility issues like your husband's. He holds onto the wall, furniture, etc. as he walks.  He walks very slowly with a shuffle. I try to walk with him when he wants to move around the house but it isn't perfect and he falls somewhat regularly. We have carpet and he hasn't been injured. I have been able to get on the floor and coach him onto his knees and he can push up on a chair.  I don't know how much longer that will be effective.  I have tried a walker and a rollator (under supervision), but he simply can't learn how to use them. Both proved to be a hindrance. I haven't tried a cane, but I suspect it won't help.  And yes, in the middle of the night it is worse and even more challenging. I feel like I am trying to move around a ton of bricks.  I figure that he will be in a wheelchair before long. I know for a fact that my husband wouldn't benefit from PT; he simply can't follow directions at all; I suspect the same for your husband.  I have no suggestions for you but to fasten your seat belt for the crazy ride ahead of you.

P.S. And like you, getting him into the car is like a game of twister. So when we go to a wheelchair, I guess I will have to hire medical transport when he has to go to the dentist, etc.

• Gardeningartist
    Gardeningartist Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary

My DH with dementia & Parkinsons is having the same issues.  He is very willing to work with a PT but will not do any thing on his own to stay strong & active.  I have found a gymnastics teacher to come in twice a week to work with him.  It would become a real problem if I tried to get him to do the PT & I already am his caregiver.  I found this lady on my local Nextdoor app.  For comparison I pay her $40 per each 45 minute visit. 

Have you tried a gait belt?  You would place it under his arms & secure it around him.  You can then use it to help him rise from the bed & hold the belt from behind him to help his balance while walking.  I hope that you can find something that helps.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    June, your comment about a game of Twister made me laugh out loud!  That’s it exactly!
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    When my DH was having major difficulty getting out of bed or out of his lift chair, I, too, couldn't lift him.  A temporary solution was to use a gait belt.  While it couldn't have prevented falls entirely, it did help with balance.  I'm sure your DH's OT/PT can show you the tricks!  The belt REALLY helped when walked DH up the stairs.  Again...temporary fix.  Good luck.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    After DH had heart bypass surgery in 2015, he came home weak and confused. I used a urinal at night for him. It was a big help since he couldn’t get out of bed without help… And by the time I could get him out of bed it was too late. With the urinal, all I had to do was put it between his legs and he could  relieve himself.  I hope this helps.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    David J wrote:
    June, your comment about a game of Twister made me laugh out loud!  That’s it exactly!

David,

I believe it was LadyTexan who posted that description of getting in and out of the car in another thread. Credit goes to her.  

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Position a bedside commode at a right angle next to the bed. You may also need a walker and a gait belt to make the transfer. Look on line for videos to learn the proper technique or seek assistance from a physical therapist or nurse. You must be very careful with body mechanics to avoid injury. Hopefully some of his strength  will come back.

I also hope he accepts a bedside commode. They are very similar to a toilet, so it may work.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Try a portable urinal for night time use.  In his back, it can be positioned between his legs effectively.  Make sure he is sleeping on a waterproof pad, just in case.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

I finally got my husband out of the house this morning and went for a ride.  He hasn't left the house since March.  I had to guide him to the car and into the car.  He walks very slowly because he thinks he's going to fall because his perception is way off.  He did okay but I could tell he was apprehensive about stepping down a few stairs.   His mobility has taken a downturn for sure.  He wouldn't understand how to use a walker.  He has fallen three times since last December but could get himself back up.

He hasn't used a toilet in almost a year so nighttime mobility isn't an issue thanks to disposable briefs.   He will sometimes get out of bed in order to urinate in his depends, then I have to guide him back to bed.  

I do have a urinal on hand but have never used it.  I can see using a wheelchair in the near future.  A bedside commode is a good idea for those who can still understand how to use it.

Know that you're doing the best you can.

• anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

My DH just received a walker and wheelchair through hospice.  He is always confused at night and gets up wandering around in the bedroom.  I really do not think having a rollater( walker) in the bedroom will help much unless he really tries to use it.  He may actually trip over it even though I have lighting in the bedroom.  I know his motions are not accurate and he is guessing where he is walking or shuffling.  I will be testing the rollater to see if my husband will actually use it.  Like you LadyTexan my DH has mobility problems and very unsteady.  I had problems getting my husband to walk down the hallway either to go to bed, or getting up and going to kitchen to have breakfast in the mornings. The nurse said he will have good and bad days and you never know how his body will react, but be prepared for anything to happen.

My last couple days have been challenging as every few days I have to make sure he has a BM. and I have to guess when he might go.  Just venting my frustration about this disease!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have a walker and a rollator. I think the old fashioned walker is far safer!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Lady. My wife was in the hospital for 3 days with a UTI, a couple years ago. When they had the infection under control, they had an OT visit her, and assess her. They tried to get her to use a walker, but it didn't go well. The OT told me it would be more dangerous for her to use one than it would be for her to try to walk on her own.

Last December I was in the hospital for a few days with hypo glycemia. While I was in there, I could walk with no problem, but they insisted that I have OT visit me. He insisted on me wearing a gait belt until he could clear me to walk on my own. I told him I could use one of those for my wife because she is not very stable when walking (I was not asking for one). He told me to take it home because they can't use them again after someone has used it. I just wanted to let people know that this is probably the hospital policy wherever you are. So if someone you know is in the hospital, and has OT, there might be a free gait belt for the asking. Just let them know you'd like to have it before they are done using it. Otherwise it will probably be gone already.

Concerning getting him out of bed for a bathroom call: This might not be applicable now, but if you didn't know it, there are external male catheters, also known as condom catheters available if the need should arise. Might be something to keep in mind.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Ed1937 wrote:

Hi Lady. My wife was in the hospital for 3 days with a UTI, a couple years ago. When they had the infection under control, they had an OT visit her, and assess her. They tried to get her to use a walker, but it didn't go well. The OT told me it would be more dangerous for her to use one than it would be for her to try to walk on her own.

Last December I was in the hospital for a few days with hypo glycemia. While I was in there, I could walk with no problem, but they insisted that I have OT visit me. He insisted on me wearing a gait belt until he could clear me to walk on my own. I told him I could use one of those for my wife because she is not very stable when walking (I was not asking for one). He told me to take it home because they can't use them again after someone has used it. I just wanted to let people know that this is probably the hospital policy wherever you are. So if someone you know is in the hospital, and has OT, there might be a free gait belt for the asking. Just let them know you'd like to have it before they are done using it. Otherwise it will probably be gone already.

Concerning getting him out of bed for a bathroom call: This might not be applicable now, but if you didn't know it, there are external male catheters, also known as condom catheters available if the need should arise. Might be something to keep in mind.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    @Ed - The HHA physical therapist gave us a gait belt and showed me how to use it. The therapist told me the same thing about the gait belt in the hospital. She said if you are in the hospital, take the gait belt home with you because they dispose of it when they turn the room over. Good to know!
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks everyone! I sincerely appreciate your input. 

Some days are better than others. Your guidance and support carries me through the difficult challenges. 

Having plenty of light to guide the way makes the job easier. Slow simple commands and cues are important. I don't think the walker will work for us, but may check one out from the medical equipment lending program at the senior center to give it a try. I will procure a couple of portable urinals. Did you know some on the market have glow in the dark lids. That is clever! I will keep the gait belt handy. I will let the docs know what I am observing and ask about Parkinsoniam.

You all are the best! Best wishes for a great week!

• Redhead520
    Redhead520 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary

Hi LT.  My husband has mobility problems.  His perception was so far off he kept hitting into things.  He also has prostate problems and constantly wants to go to the bathroom. Now I have a bedside commode that has been a great help.  I have to get up with him as he can no longer make it into the bathroom. Even when he did he was peeing on the floor half the time.

My husband can no way use a walker because of his balance problems.  He would fall with the walker.  At night I started using a pull-up diaper with booster pads in the diaper so it will hold more and you can sometimes remove the pad and the diaper will be dry. The one problem is that my husband does not have total incontinence. A nurse said as long as he has the urge to void he will want to get up and go to the bathroom. I have honestly not slept a full night sleep in over 18 months or more.

My heart goes out to you and I hope my experiences can help.  Have a peaceful evening. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more