Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

apathy about the future

2»

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I just wanted to say thank you to Jeff86 for posting about putting a little distance between you and AD . I think that is what I am starting to do. I want to take back little bits and chunks of my life. As my husband gets sicker and sleeps more, there is more me time. I  think that is going to be my theme for this fiscal year, and your post helped me to frame it in my mind so thanks .
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Battle buddy—one of the treasures of this forum is to learn how other caregivers wrestle with issues each of us faces.  Sometimes, we need a reset from how we have been seeing a situation. 

For the first few years after dx, all I could see was being a caregiver.

I’ll try to post, shortly, about how I arrived at a further reset recently.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I daydream about future plans all the time. For the past decade or more life has beaten the crap out of me.I only hope I get a chance to live again before dying.That thought keeps me hanging on just one more day..........
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff, Once again it seams like we are on a parallel path. I took up playing Pickleball for the same reasons you stated and play a few times a week now. In a couple of weeks I am going on an 8 day wilderness adventure (more on that in a future post). If your looking for a travel buddy for Tanzania let me know, that would be right up my alley.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you Jeff. I was barely 60 when DH, who is notably older, started getting bad. I thought I had 10-15 years ahead. That was almost 5 years ago. I used to think I needed to stay healthy so I could have a life when his body was gone. (He himself was long gone). 

Then I had my own health issues, and I started thinking he will outlive me, and what’s the point, other than being a caregiver and kids can do that, he won’t know the difference.Maybe I should try again. Right now I have no good future, given his condition (physically good but nothing there mentally) and my age. I may be alive, but will I be able to do anything? All I can expect now is being a caregiver for someone with little mental function who barely knows I exist.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Joe C. wrote:
    Jeff, Once again it seams like we are on a parallel path. I took up playing Pickleball for the same reasons you stated and play a few times a week now. In a couple of weeks I am going on an 8 day wilderness adventure (more on that in a future post). If your looking for a travel buddy for Tanzania let me know, that would be right up my alley.
    Joe,  That might, could work!  Let’s talk off line, if you’re serious!  Jeff
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Oh RobertsBrown, I have only two things to add: Ditto and thanks for posting.

The one thing I havent’t given up on is being impoverished and letting go of every penny I worked for since I was 15. You’ve gotta have something that keeps you going when all else is fruitless and unfulfilling and defeating and depressing and maddening and heartbreaking and frustrating…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more