Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

terminal or paradoxical lucidity

I was wondering if any of you have heard of this in dementia patients.

I have heard of this in coma patients, and those who have been severely ill for other reasons.

From what I have read it can occur for hours, days or even a month before death in dementia patients.

The reason for my asking is that my father has had a week of increased lucidity and improved walking ability.  It is as if we are back to a year ago with his status.

There has been no medication or physical heath change to explain it.

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello Loves Kitties.   Interesting post, I've heard this and believe it to be true on occasion, however I cannot recall the source.  Three or four years ago my DW would have, completely out of the blue, a very lucid few hours.  This happened on 2 or maybe 3 occasions.  Each time it was followed by a significant step down the following day.   It has not happened in the last 2 years. 

It was not a happy time as she would want to know what was happening to her and what the prognosis was.   Difficult conversations.  Rick

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My dad went into care and lived for five years there. My mom, myself and my brother went to see him every year at Christmas. In his final year, we went as usual to visit him. He was sharp, witty and just like how I remembered him before the dementia set in.

I suddenly felt really sad, I had a feeling that was the last time I would see him. He died February, about two months later. My mother said that a candle always burns the brightest before it goes out. 

I don’t know if this is common in dementia sufferers but this was my experience for what it is worth.

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Hi. Yes, my DH had a period 2-3 days of this, 3 weeks before he finally died. Even though I'd been aware of it, and had experienced it with both my parents, I found myself wondering if maybe whatever was causing his dementia (at that time we didn't know) had maybe gone away.  He tried to get out of bed, sat up, moved when he was being changed etc.; was eating and drinking loads. And the biggest shock - he seemed to understand what was happening, reacted normally. Didn't exactly have a conversation but was incredibly more "with it". He pulled me towards him at one point and said "Sorry", which, as you can imagine, broke my heart. He was in very good spirits and laughed quite a lot, which was lovely to hear.

To be frank I found it hard to deal with; another twist on the rollercoaster of dementia. I had expressed my frustration to the hospice nurse and she reminded me, once he'd died, that those couple of days were definitely his pre-death rally.

Good luck with your father's journey, whatever that may be.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more