Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Korsakoff Syndrome(1)

My sister 64 has Korsakoff with major short term memory loss and selective loss of long term memory loss.  Her judgement is not good but she has moments of clear reasoning. After hospitalization followed by rehab we moved her to an assisted living facility near me.  I am her primary ‘life-line’ as she calls me and I visit 5 times a week at least.  She gets on jags where she calls 20 times whether I answer or not.  I feel guilty not answering her calls but also don’t want to get frustrated with her as I know she is scared.  She will say, I know I am calling too much but……

She has always isolated herself but worked full time until May.  Her facility has lots of activities and a wonderful dining room.  Neither I nor the staff after 2 weeks can convince her to join in.  I’ve tried accompanying her and she will go then but never without me.

We are working on getting her medication adjusted.  She asks the same questions over and over and we’ve put a list of her common question with answers on her bulletin board.  It is rare that we can deflect her to positive topic.  She asks about our parents who have passed. When I try a fiblet she calls me on it saying they have died, haven’t they?

I’m interested in your experience and suggestions helping her get involved as she says she feels isolated.  What would you say to questions on when she can get out of there: what happened to her and will I ever get better.

Does anyone have experience with cognitive rehabilitation therapy to help her develop some work arounds to her memory issues as she knows she has trouble and wants to get better.

Appreciate any insight and suggestions!

Comments

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lemonwood, I posted a link to your questions over in the caregivers board of this forum. It has better participation, and I believe some folks who have experience with Korsakoff. Hopefully they will have some advice and will come here and respond. If you would also like to check that forum out, you can use the search function to see other threads on Korsakoff Syndrome. 

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=topics&f=151

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney