Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

is marijuana helping or hurting the situation

DH has smoked marijuana for much of his life beginning in his teens. Recently he has increased his intake of marijuana. I think it is making his balance worse and I am frustrated. He senses my frustration and becomes agitated. 

Historically the weed has helped his anxiety and agitation. I have witnessed the improvement in his agitation and I was thankful for it. However, DH has fallen 3 times in 2 days. This could be disease progression. As I have mentioned in another post, DH has been having increased mobility issues. Is the weed making things worse? Or is using marijuana his way of dealing with the frustration of losing his abilities? Or is the marijuana contributing to his mobility problems?

We have been candid with DH's healthcare team regarding his marijuana use. I have posed this question to his psychiatrist and I expect we will discuss it during our virtual visit Wednesday. Because recreational use of marijuana is not legal in Texas, the discussion with the doctor may be limited. I don't know what is required to pursue medical use of weed in Texas.

My questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with a PWD using marijuana?
  2. In your experience, Does it do harm? 
  3. What are the consequences?
  4. In your experience, Is there any benefit? 
  5. What are the benefits?

I do not use marijuana, so I am not knowledgeable or experienced on the subject.

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Medical MJ is legal in TX for neurodegenerative disease.  Probably check with his neurologist or other Dr. for advice as well as a prescription.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    We tried marijuana for my DH with Alzheimer’s. (It’s legal here with a doctors Rx). It did seem to make him sleepier, but that wasn’t a problem. It did not have much other noticeable effect at all, not good, not bad. But my DH did not have pre-existing mobility problems. We don’t use it much anymore because it’s still a hassle to get, and it’s expensive given no help. If I thought it had any benefit, I would absolutely use it.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My daughters urged me to consider medical marijuana for my husband, whose agitation has worsened. I spoke to his neurologist, who nixed the idea. He said that my husband’s teetering balance could be even more adversely affected, creating even more falls. Besides, he added, dosages have not yet been adequately determined. My only mistake was not asking the doctor whether I should take the stuff to deal with caregiver stress.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thank you for your input. I spoke with the doc today. She stated she is not authorized to prescribe medical marijuana. She had some suggestions regarding his medication that we will try to hopefully minimize the balance issues while still addressing DH's agitation. She also suggested a balance class and ensuring DH continues the exercises he performed during the HHA therapy.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hope the new medication works for him, Lady. You need all the help you can get.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    My dad had severe dizziness, balance issues and reeling gait which were especially pronounced because of his WKS. He was prescribed meclizine HCL initially. It's an antihistamine with the usual side effects- dry mouth, tiredness, fast heart rate. Some people also have moodiness, headaches and difficulty urinating. If this is the medication, keep an eye out. 

A balance program sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it goes.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Lady Texan,

I received a call from John Hopkins, they want my DH to participate in a clinical trial conducted by NIH of the drug dronabinol, which is synthetic THC, the principal psychoactive constituent of marijuana. The study will administer different doses of the drug and find out if it reduces agitation. The doses are low enough so they won’t  affect the person’s balance.  Maybe your husband is consuming a high dose of THC which impacts his balance.

• douggieohare
    douggieohare Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Weed will help you fall asleep if you smoke India, not Sativa. This is important because the first type of marijuana relaxes, and the second one stimulates. But cannabis affects how quickly you fall asleep and the quality of your sleep. And regarding the benefits or harms of this influence, the opinions of scientists differ. Marijuana increases the duration of the third stage of slow delta sleep, during which our body completely relaxes, and the body rests. If you are concerned about smoking, then you can try to suggest replacing smoking with td  weedofficials.com, from which the effect is similar to smoking but appears calmer.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Old Thread; Lady Texan's husband has since passed away.

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Very interesting new replies.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia