Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

VENT: noise, stress and poop

DH gets super needy in the afternoon now. He needs something else about every 5 minutes. He wants water, then a snack, then another snack, then a cigarette, then a soda, then the bathroom and then water and on and on and on. DH shuffles his feet as he paces around. I have misphonia, so the never ending noise, as minor as it is, is making me especially anxious. 

I haven't had time to clean up the kitchen from the two full meals that I have already served DH today. I haven't had time to take care of the banking or the house maintenance or the bill paying. I haven't even brushed my teeth yet.

Did I mention, the day started by my dog Hap, rolling around in a mountain of cat crap?! As if I don't have enough poop encounters on an ordinary day.

I am steeping a cup of hot tea as I write this. I hope it helps. I have found venting to people also trudging this rocky journey helps tremendously. Verbalizing gratitude is another solution. I am grateful my husband still has the ability to walk. I am grateful for my hearing, albeit super sensitive. I am grateful for all of you. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Comments

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Sorry LT, but I had to laugh about the cat crap.  I can certainly relate to taking care of a needy LO.  I feel for you. Hope your tea makes you feel better.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hey Lady,

Don’t know if I have misphonia but the burping, foot shuffling, teeth sucking, constant fiddling sets my teeth on edge. My husband likes to rinse dishes but does not wash them with soap, that makes me crazy as well.

The cat crap made me laugh as well, sorry. As for affirmations, can’t say I’m there yet. I have a cat that yowls all day, between him and my husband, well it is a real crazy fest. I honestly think the cat has dementia as well.

My husband will eat all day if I let him. Sadly he forgets after he has eaten. Terrible disease.

• Jamaicabound
    Jamaicabound Member Posts: 23
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

Hi Lady. Just wanted to say I hear everything you're saying. My DH had habits that would make me crazy sometimes, especially peeing on the floor and insisting on touching my stove while I was cooking.  One time I went to fix the box of rice I wanted for dinner and finally found it outside under a bush! 

He has now been under home hospice for four months and as I watch him slowly drift away I long to have these irritations back in my life. I wish he was still able to walk so I could chase him around the neighborhood. (Am I crazy or what?) My point is, instead of using your energy by getting irritated, try to find humor in the things that really don't matter. Keep your home clean enough to be healthy, it will be there when he is not. Take a walk or just escape to your room and breath if you need to calm down. I found that sometimes he just needed to be left alone too.

Prayers are with you, especially prayers for patience, as we are all human, as you continue this journey.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

LT, I don't know if it would be helpful to you, but I find noise-reducing headphones or noise-reducing earbuds a lifesaver when it comes to repetitive noises.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more